Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to increase the default graphics "Intel HD graphics 3000 384 MB"

I am having intel HDgraphics 3000 384 MB in my mac book pro 2011 , with 4gb ram and 2.7gh core i7 ... I wanted to increase the graphics . Can some one suggest me how would i do graphic enhancement on my mac book. Thanks in advance .

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 11:16 AM

You can't. The GPU is contained within the CPU and cannot be modified or replaced. The amount of RAM shared with the GPU is a function of the GPU's maximum amount of memory it can use and the amount of RAM to share in the computer.

If you want better video performance you have to buy a newer computer.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2013 11:16 AM in response to guhanmathi

You can't. The GPU is contained within the CPU and cannot be modified or replaced. The amount of RAM shared with the GPU is a function of the GPU's maximum amount of memory it can use and the amount of RAM to share in the computer.

If you want better video performance you have to buy a newer computer.

Jan 26, 2013 11:16 AM in response to guhanmathi

First, you can't replace the graphic card because it's soldered onto the logic board.

If you want to increase the VRAM of the graphic card, you must know that your graphic supports 512 MB of VRAM > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3246?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#intel3000. To get them, you have to install 8 GB of memory. You can buy the memory in OWC or Crucial > http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_133 3MHz_SDRAM

Jan 26, 2013 1:18 PM in response to mende1

Thank you very much .... Could you suggest me some games which can play well on my exisitng configuration ?.

I have downloaded NFS run windows version . I bootcamped windows 7, i installed the game . But the thing is i am not able to play . It goes inside the game and come out immediately .

Is there any way i can adjust the graphics in bootcamp ?

May 9, 2016 12:35 PM in response to hermon_1989

How does it test, though? There are some benchmarks already from original tests.

So the old hardware likely is on record; to prove the functional increase of what the

computer now shows is real, other real-world proof would be required. If the hardware

supports what essentially could be termed a hack, so system RAM could be diverted

to the graphic processor, then it may be OK. + There may be unwanted side effects.

I've an old car with 120MPH speedometer -- but never sought to prove that capability. 😐

May 9, 2016 12:35 PM in response to guhanmathi

From 512MB to 1024MB

1) cd /S*/L*/Ext*/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext/C*/M*

2) sudo cp AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.backup

3) sudo perl -pi -e 's|\xC7\x45\xBC\x00\x00\x00\x20|\xc7\x45\xBC\x00\x00\x00\x40|g' AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB

$) sudo touch /S*/L*/Extensions

enter these in ur terminal one by one ..and hit enter.. i.e enter the code from 1) and hit enter..then enter the code from 2) and hit enter and so on .. if prompted to enter password ..go ahead and do so ... this code is for those ppl who have 512 mb of graphics currently running on their mac book pro on early 2011 models.

and this code below is for those ppl who has 384 MB graphics. **follow the same steps as above**

FROM 384MB to 1024MB

cd /S*/L*/Ext*/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext/C*/M*

sudo cp AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.backup

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\xC7\x45\xBC\x00\x00\x00\x18|\xc7\x45\xBC\x00\x00\x00\x40|g' AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB

sudo touch /S*/L*/Extensions

May 10, 2016 12:18 AM in response to hermon_1989

To test the changes and see if the factors involved would actually improve performance

and not increase heat or add unreliability into the mix, may be something to consider...

A few ideas on stress testing, measuring throttle and temperatures on Macs, CPU and GPU

without attempting to measure the actual performance, is one angle to look into. See first link;

the second link appears to be a more polished concept with better options.

• Automated Stress Tests on Mac QNXOR/MacOh:

https://github.com/qnxor/macoh

User uploaded file

GpuTest - Cross-platform GPU Stress Test and Open GL Benchmark: for Windows, Linux, & OS X:

http://www.geeks3d.com/gputest/

Older tests include XBench Macintosh benchmark testing - freeware

http://xbench.com/

You may be able to find the specs for the Intel HD3000 graphic unit to verify the total RAM usage

it can support; it was pointed out to me the number could be as high as 1.7GB RAM (from system

shared with graphics) though the mathematical limit may have been rounded-down. In the older

implementation of GMA shared memory graphics, the computer's total allotment of RAM may not

have supported such a generous portion given over to the graphics processor, when applications

and the OS X CPU may have suffered in the process. (Intel sources may validate max GMA RAM.)

Anyway, I was curious about this since some limits in older hardware can be overcome by use of

an SSD to supplement a general lack of RAM, so a higher proportion of standard RAM could be

used for the GPU without a loss to the overall performance of the CPU and application processes.

The topic is likely a distance from this thread 'general basic user questions' where few would

attempt to go into the command-line or singleuser to modify the specs and tweak performance.

That said, you could use some tools to test and verify; as it probably would work OK if the unit does

not overheat; if other performance/durability factors don't compromise the computer unit in question.

Older hardware may already be under some stress limits with a later OS X version.

Glad that you posted an interesting aside, a technical modification that may help, if it holds up OK;

though it was in an old 'solved' topic thread that often don't get revisited all that much going forward.

Thank you. 🙂

How to increase the default graphics "Intel HD graphics 3000 384 MB"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.