Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to activate root account on my MAC. The directions I've seen do not match what is in System Preference for Accounts or Users

I am trying to activate the root account on my new Mac Book Pro. The instructions that I have found do not match what I have in System Preferences. What is the process when using Users and Groups. When I click on Join the Network Account Server- Open Directory Utility I don't see a option to activate root user as the instructions say at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528

OS X Lion

1. From the Apple menu choose System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu choose Users & Groups.
  3. Click the lock and authenticate as an administrator account.
  4. Click Login Options....
  5. Click the "Edit..." or "Join..." button at the bottom right.
  6. Click the "Open Directory Utility..." button.
  7. Click the lock in the Directory Utility window.
  8. Enter an administrator account name and password, then click OK.
  9. Choose Enable Root User from the Edit menu.
  10. Enter the root password you wish to use in both the Password and Verify fields, then click OK.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 11:49 AM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2013 6:06 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you. I guess I just didn't realize that I needed to click on one of the options from the menu bar. I was thinking that it would have been an option in the box that opened. I am new to the MAC environment.

I need root access because I need to run a command to install pear for php for MAMP.

I have worked on a variety of unix systems and have used the root accoutn via sudo numerous times.

I am trying to activate root account on my MAC. The directions I've seen do not match what is in System Preference for Accounts or Users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.