Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photoshop and Mountain Lion

I have Adobe Photoshop 5.5 and I'm trying to install it on my Mac running OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. I get a message saying that the installer can't launch because the classic environment is no longer supported. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 1:16 PM

Re-download CS5.5 from Adobe.

12 replies

Jan 26, 2013 1:36 PM in response to melissab610

Sorry are you trying to install Photoshop CS5.5 or Version 5.5. I took your original post to mean PS CS5.5 as PS Version 5.5 is very old.

There is a distinct difference between the 2. PS CS 5.5 is part of the Creative Suite 5.5 and can be purchased separately. That is what I do. And then there is the Very Old PS version 5.x (if there is an X release of that old version).

Yes you can download the Demo version, if avaliable as CS 6 has come out, and then once the Demo is installed use the license number you got to activated it.

Jan 26, 2013 1:46 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy what are you talking about, "Adobe doesn't allow that"? Adobe doesn't allow what. They certainly do allow you to download the Demo versions of there software and if you have license number then you use that to make it a Full version and activate it.

I think you got the original post wrong. The OP is talking about Photoshop CS 5.5, Not Version 5.5.

EDIT:

And certainly Adobe gives an Upgrade price on all their software. Most of it you kcan skip at least one version and still buy the upgrade version.

Like I have PS CS5 and I skipped PS CS 6. I will buy PS CS7 and use my PS CS5 license as the Qualifying Previous version during the install.

If Adobe did not give discounts, Upgrade versions, Everyone would stop buying the new versions. As they come out every 18 months.

Jan 26, 2013 1:50 PM in response to melissab610

Sorry to hear that. Yes Caveat Emptor when dealing with eBay. It pays to read the Fine Print.

melissab610 wrote:

Thanks, guys. I think I have the answers I need. I got this on eBay at a really cheap price, and now I know why. It isn't CS, it's just the really old one. Ah well. Live and learn. Thanks so much for all your help!

I can give this version to a friend who has an older computer, so it's not a complete waste! ;-)

Photoshop and Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.