Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sparse Disk Image Bundle is taking up all of my space!

User uploaded file

this is the view from Disk Inventory X

Now the big, large blue box is my sparse disk image bundle. I was just wondering can I delete this? Because it's taking up everythign! I have 2.5 GB of harddrive available! I've emptied everything I can and backed up what I needed.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 2:38 PM

3 replies

Jan 26, 2013 8:28 PM in response to juneaurose

First you need at least two current backups of all the files you want to keep in your home folder. One backup is not enough to be safe. Warning: Time Machine does not back up a legacy FileVault while you're logged in.

Then you need to delete most of the data in your home folder. No less than about two-thirds. Deleting means moving to the Trash and emptying the Trash. Log out and log back in. You should then be able to deactivate legacy FileVault in the Security & Privacy preference pane.

Finally, you need to restore the files you deleted. That will be easier if you don't use Time Machine to back up. If you do use it, you'll have to dig down into the backups folder to find the most recent snapshot of your home sparsebundle, then mount it and copy the files back to their original location. You can't use the time-travel interface for this purpose.

If you restore everything, you may fill up your boot volume again. Some of the files may have to be restored to a secondary storage device, which you will then have to back up along with your primary device.

Sparse Disk Image Bundle is taking up all of my space!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.