Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activated iCloud account in spite of saying "no" while setup on iPad Mini

Hi

I just helped a friend to setup an iPad Mini. This friend does not want to upload any data on this iPad to iCloud. So I said "no" while setup to not activate iCloud at all.

After setup of device and email I found an active iCloud account configured on this iPad. My configuration while setup was just ignored?!

My friend is not very happy about this incident. How can we be sure that our configuration will not be ignored this time?

What are your experiences with iCloud, especially if you're not wanting to upload all your contacts, emails and dates to the Internet? Did it work for you? Is it still possible?

Yours,

Volker Birk

iPad, iOS 6.0.2, iPad Mini

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 2:43 PM

3 replies

Jan 26, 2013 3:08 PM in response to fdik

My friend is not very happy about this incident. How can we be sure that our configuration will not be ignored this time?

Oh I can understand their frustration since it is a life and death situation.... Their agony must be awful.

Since we weren't there when you set it up, there's no way anyone here can say what happened and why. But iCloud is not going to enable itself, so mostly like are mistaken and you did enable it when in fact you thought you didn't.

Jan 26, 2013 3:21 PM in response to Templeton Peck

I didn't say that it's a "live and death situation", nor did I talk about "agony".

I just was addressing the privacy problem. And if you don't care about privacy, that's your personal decision and I'm fine with it. My friend does, though. And there is a reason why Apple developed privacy settings in iOS: it's some people definitely are caring.

I'd like to know if other people have the same experience and how they're dealing with it.

Obviously it's easiest for you to just deny what I'm reporting. But if you don't have anything to say which can be helpful, why are you answering at all?

Jan 26, 2013 3:29 PM in response to fdik

I didn't say that it's a "live and death situation", nor did I talk about "agony".

Sarcasm dude... Lighten up and live a little.

Obviously it's easiest for you to just deny what I'm reporting. But if you don't have anything to say which can be helpful, why are you answering at all

Because as I said, Cloud does not automatically enable itself, which means your friend made a mistake in not setting it up how they wanted, which then means that any privacy issues they're concerned with are of their own doing.

Bye bye...

Activated iCloud account in spite of saying "no" while setup on iPad Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.