Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what does the "other" category consist of when syncing iPhone

what does the "other" category consist of when syncing iPhone

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 5:01 PM

8 replies

Jan 26, 2013 5:16 PM in response to Drl22

How much space is Other using? You may be able to reduce.

How Do I Get Rid Of The “Other” Data Stored On My iPad Or iPhone?

http://tinyurl.com/85w6xwn

With an iOS device, the “Other” space in iTunes is used to store things like documents, settings, caches, and a few other important items. If you sync lots of documents to apps like GoodReader, DropCopy, or anything else that reads external files, your storage use can skyrocket. With iOS 5/6, you can see exactly which applications are taking up the most space. Just head to Settings > General > Usage, and tap the button labeled Show All Apps. The storage section will show you the app and how much storage space it is taking up. Tap on the app name to get a description of the additional storage space being used by the app’s documents and data. You can remove the storage-hogging application and all of its data directly from this screen, or manually remove the data by opening the app. Some applications, especially those designed by Apple, will allow you to remove stored data by swiping from left to right on the item to reveal a Delete button.

You posted in the iPad forum instead of the iPhone forum. To get answers to your question, next time post in the proper forum. See https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa I'll request that Apple relocate your post.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Jan 3, 2014 4:55 PM in response to Drl22

yes yes yes what is this? spyware? the answer above doesn't solve it or explain what this other is, I want to know how to see what it its and how to clear it, I see how much app mb's and its not that, I have less than 1300 mb for all the other stuff and only 4.81 of free and 7.31 of other,,,,???? I have wiped it and restored it so what is being stored on my phone? w or w\o my putting it there????? HEllo

Jan 3, 2014 5:19 PM in response to Reid Monroe

"Other" data is real data that you put on your phone by using the built in apps. It is not music, not videos, not pictures and not App Store app data. It is "OTHER" meaning everything that does not fall into these categories. Such as:

• email messages and attachments
  • Reminders
  • Calendar entries
  • Contacts
  • Text messages
  • iMessages
  • MMS messages and attachments
  • Genius data
  • Music cover art
  • Music library database index (but not the music itself)
  • Operating system settings
  • Safari cache