Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On my RMBP (10.8.2) Aperture 3.4.3 won't start due to a database error

On my RMBP (10.8.2) Aperture 3.4.3 will not start due to a database error. Command+Option start of Aperture is giving me the same error and not giving me a repair/rebuild choice. My iPhoto library (migrated from iPhoto to Aperture a couple of weeks ago) is kept on an external LaCie SSD which I have been unmounting when I take the MBP to work. I did notice earlier today that I had a '/Volumes/LaCie' and '/Volumes/LaCie 1'. Rebooting the MBP caused the '/Volumes/LaCie 1' to go away and I only see '/Volumes/LaCie' now.

The precise error I'm getting is "There was an error opening the database for the library “/Volumes/LaCie/iPhoto Library”. "

Suggestions?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 6:08 PM

3 replies

Feb 2, 2013 6:08 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

@Kirby, I just saw your reply. I was unable to find any way to salvage the iPhoto library so I gave up on it and am moving the original again. I tried various things such as removing the Aperture preferences plist, using command/option when starting Aperture and so on but no luck

The primary cause of the corruption was that I had Aperture sync'ing with my Flickr account and this can significantly slow down picking up my MBP to take to work. It was in the middle of a Flickr sync and I disconnected the external LaCie cable (Thunderbolt) because I coult not get the disk to dismount because Aperture had it open while sync'ing. A lesson learned was to unset the automatic Flickr sync option from Aperture.

Feb 3, 2013 1:01 AM in response to dougfromashburn

It was in the middle of a Flickr sync and I disconnected the external LaCie cable (Thunderbolt) because I coult not get the disk to dismount because Aperture had it open while sync'ing. A lesson learned was to unset the automatic Flickr sync option from Aperture.

This can corrupt your Aperture library, and even the file system on the drive so that you may be unable to mount it. Really no good idea.

Aperture has a buil-in facility to stop running activities. Launch the Activity Viewer (from the main menu bar):

Window > Show Activity.

In this window you can see the status of ongoing activities and may cancel them safely.

Regards

Léonie

On my RMBP (10.8.2) Aperture 3.4.3 won't start due to a database error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.