Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Secondary sub directories

This is probably a very simple question to answer but is there a way to create secondary sub directories within Aperture? For instance, I'm creating projects based on the year, albums based on the month, and I'm trying to find a way to group events once they're in this heiracrhy. Note - The *asterisk* is what I'm interested in trying to add to the Library Project hierachy.

Example:

--January

----Concert*

----Business Trip*

--February

----Vacation*

--January

----Work Seminar*

----Museum*

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 9:42 PM

You need to "Aperturize" your thinking 🙂 . This involves at least two things: learning the parts of Aperture, and making the conceptual leap from "files & directories" to Images, Projects, and Albums.

The conceptual leap carries you over the turbulent water that you think is calmed by having your Images pernamently filed by date. That need was paramount when negatives did not carry metadata. That need is now superannunated (digital negatives carry metadata, a time-stamp foremost therein). Sorting Images by date is never more than two clicks away in Aperture (click "Photos", select "Date" from the Browser's sort drop-down).

If you still desire the scheme you've presented, just make your asterisked "shoots" Projects. (Aperture was designed around the practice of "one shoot = one Project".) Use Folders for months and years.

Note that "event" has no meaning in Aperture.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2013 9:42 PM in response to Zathrak

You need to "Aperturize" your thinking 🙂 . This involves at least two things: learning the parts of Aperture, and making the conceptual leap from "files & directories" to Images, Projects, and Albums.

The conceptual leap carries you over the turbulent water that you think is calmed by having your Images pernamently filed by date. That need was paramount when negatives did not carry metadata. That need is now superannunated (digital negatives carry metadata, a time-stamp foremost therein). Sorting Images by date is never more than two clicks away in Aperture (click "Photos", select "Date" from the Browser's sort drop-down).

If you still desire the scheme you've presented, just make your asterisked "shoots" Projects. (Aperture was designed around the practice of "one shoot = one Project".) Use Folders for months and years.

Note that "event" has no meaning in Aperture.

Jan 26, 2013 11:18 PM in response to Zathrak

2012 ← Folder

--January ← Folder

----Concert* ← Project

----Business Trip* ← Project

--February ← Folder

----Vacation* ← Project

That's a _storage_ structure. You should also design a _retrieval_ structure.

Re: Organizing in Aperture, concise long version.

Note that the storage structure you are choosing to create is (mostly) easily created at any time by going to Projects View and sorting by date and grouping by year.

Note too that Albums show as children of Projects in the Library Inspector, but they do not inherit the Project's contents, and the Project does not display the Albums contents. This is, frankly, weird. That's why the containers I've assigned above to your (so far) desired storage structure are only Folders and Projects.

You might add Albums as children of your Projects. For instance

2012 ← Folder

--January ← Folder

----Concert* ← Project

------Pre-concert/outdoors ← Album

------Concert ← Album

------Post-concert candids ← Album

----Business Trip* ← Project

------Travel pictures ←Album

------Meeting & corporate HQ ←Album

------Lunch candids ← Album

--February

----Vacation*

Strongly recommend reading the linking "Naming of the parts", and creating and practicing with a test Library, until your are comfortable with the parts of Aperture: Images, their containers (Projects, Albums), and the containers of containers (Folders).

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Jan 27, 2013 10:11 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

So I've been looking at this post and the link in it for hours now trying to funnel all that information into my scenario.

I think you've called me out correctly in that I don't know if I'm really able to let go of the date hieracrhy just yet. My issue is that if I've ever wanted to work with my photo collections outside of aperture, you know...in a traditional Finder / Explorer setting, I would need to be able to do that. I'm afraid that if I let go of this heirachy, I will lose my capacity to do this.

I'm also not completely internalizing how to make aperture work for me. I understand that it's project = shoot based which is completely not what I'm needing. I only bought aperture to be able to store and sort my photos in a keyword environment (which is probably a question I'll be asking later).

I guess I'm not sure how else to ask what I'm trying to figure out. I don't do photo editing. I don't do photo shoots as I'm not a photographer. I'm just some guy that wants to take every day photos/videos which might include special events from time to time and be able to sort them by date, delete duplicates, and call them good in a logical date oriented fashion.

I appreciate the assistance.

Jan 27, 2013 10:44 AM in response to Zathrak

Zathrak wrote:

So I've been looking at this post and the link in it for hours now trying to funnel all that information into my scenario.

[ ... ]

I'm just some guy that wants to take every day photos/videos which might include special events from time to time and be able to sort them by date, delete duplicates, and call them good in a logical date oriented fashion.

I appreciate the assistance.

Clearly I've made this too complicated -- I'm sorry. Perhaps someone else will jump in with more clearly presented information.

What you want is easily achieved, however. To go back to your original post: just make Folders for years and under those, Folders for months. For each of your asterisked containers, make a Project. Put your Images in the Project you want them to be in.

Then add Keywords.

Jan 27, 2013 12:01 PM in response to Zathrak

Zathrak,

Aperture is a very powerful digital asset management tool - don't let its power overwhelm you. Just because Aperture can deal with complicated image retrieval problems, you are not forced to built a complicated structure. Once you have decided what the main criteria should be that you need to store and to retrieve your images from Aperture's database, set up the folders and projects to support this.

Folders and projects should build the basic long-term storage structure, and albums are best used to support short term projects to group subsets of images for specific tasks, like books, slideshows, for export, etc.

Kirby's advice is very good - let's try it at your example:

Use folders to group your projects hierarchically:

Your example:

--January

----Concert*

----Business Trip*

--February

----Vacation*

--January

----Work Seminar*

----Museum*

To build on Kirby's suggestion: I'd set this up like this: Nested Folders, and a project for each event that has a specific meaning:

User uploaded file

This way you can browse your images in the Browser by year (by selecting the folder 2012 or 2013), by month (by selecting the folder January in the folder 2013), or by project - select the project Museum, Work Seminar, etc. Folders are very versatile - they group library items hierarchically, allow to select multiple items at once, and help to hide them and get them out of the way by collapsing large parts of the folder tree using the disclosure triangles.

if you want to see all concert images at once, use keywords (Concert, Museum) and Smart albums; create a smart album with the rule "Keywors is Museum".

Regards

Léonie

Feb 2, 2013 4:12 PM in response to Zathrak

So I hate to ask now but on a related note, I just found a "project" that requires additional submenus for the different areas of a trip. How would I handle that based on the adoption of Leonie's example above.

I've done what was suggested in the picture above by Leonie, but I now need to break down the Work Seminar or Vacation projects in to different subcategories.

Make sense?

Secondary sub directories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.