Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I daisy chain Airport routers?

I need to extend my wi fi network in a linear fashion through my house. The base station is a 2nd generation Airport Extreme which feeds both ethernet cable and wifi, and the extended wifi base is a new Airport Express. I need to extend coverage to an area beyond the Express where running an ethernet cable would be quite difficult. It appears from what I've read that linear extension of my wifi network can't be done. Why is that, when the same password and setup is being used throughout the network? Is there a signal enhancer available that could pass the signal through the interfering walls? There is interference off to the side from water tanks and laundry appliances, so the path isn't quite line of sight, but very slightly curved.

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 7:40 PM

Can I daisy chain AirPort routers?

No, not using wireless only.

That's because Apple's extend a wireless network feature works like the hub and spokes of a wheel. In your case, the AirPort Extreme is the "hub" and the AirPort Express would be a "remote" located at the end of a "spoke".

It's possible to have multiple "remotes", but each device would reside at the end of a "spoke" and as such, it communicates directly to the "hub".....not to another "remote" at the end of another "spoke".

The perfect setup in most homes would have the "hub" centrally located and the "remotes" would reside at the outer portions of the home. Few of us are so lucky to have a "hub" located this way though.

Is there a signal enhancer available that could pass the signal through the interfering walls?

Unfortunately, no. As you probably know, the wireless signal power of all routers is limited by law...and WiFi signals just don't pass though obstructions very well. Of course, the signal will penetrate a wall board wall a lot more effectively than a dense wall of cement.

The bottom line here is that if it is always better to connect remote AirPorts back to the main Airport using a wired Ethernet connection. This allows you to locate the remote AirPorts exactly where they are needed to provide the best signal coverage in a given area.

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, then sometimes Ethernet powerline adapters can be used to send an Ethernet signal over the existing AC wiring in your home.

The theory here is that you already have the wiring in place, you just need the adapters. In practice, things sometimes do not work according to theory though, so some experimentation may be needed if you decide to try the powerline adapters. Understanding the store's return policy in advance might be a wise thing to do.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2013 7:40 PM in response to pae94037

Can I daisy chain AirPort routers?

No, not using wireless only.

That's because Apple's extend a wireless network feature works like the hub and spokes of a wheel. In your case, the AirPort Extreme is the "hub" and the AirPort Express would be a "remote" located at the end of a "spoke".

It's possible to have multiple "remotes", but each device would reside at the end of a "spoke" and as such, it communicates directly to the "hub".....not to another "remote" at the end of another "spoke".

The perfect setup in most homes would have the "hub" centrally located and the "remotes" would reside at the outer portions of the home. Few of us are so lucky to have a "hub" located this way though.

Is there a signal enhancer available that could pass the signal through the interfering walls?

Unfortunately, no. As you probably know, the wireless signal power of all routers is limited by law...and WiFi signals just don't pass though obstructions very well. Of course, the signal will penetrate a wall board wall a lot more effectively than a dense wall of cement.

The bottom line here is that if it is always better to connect remote AirPorts back to the main Airport using a wired Ethernet connection. This allows you to locate the remote AirPorts exactly where they are needed to provide the best signal coverage in a given area.

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, then sometimes Ethernet powerline adapters can be used to send an Ethernet signal over the existing AC wiring in your home.

The theory here is that you already have the wiring in place, you just need the adapters. In practice, things sometimes do not work according to theory though, so some experimentation may be needed if you decide to try the powerline adapters. Understanding the store's return policy in advance might be a wise thing to do.

Feb 11, 2013 6:15 AM in response to D_Rent

what if the Express' were connected to each other via ethernet cables?

Like this:

Extreme <-------->Express (in bridge mode) <-------->Express (also in bridge mode)

There are upsides and downsides to everything.

The upside here is that this will work.

The downside is that if the first Express is having a problem, it will take out the second as well. Better wiring practice would be to connect both Express devices directly to the Extreme.....if possible.

An alternate plan would be to install an Ethernet switch at the location of the first Express and then connect both Express devices directly to the switch.

Can I daisy chain Airport routers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.