Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto library needs to be upgraded?

I replaced my hard drive, reinstalled 10.6, and used migration assistant to restore from Time Machine (and will never do that again). iPhoto itself works fine (when the library is set to be the 'new' empty library), but when I try to access my old iPhoto library, I get the message:

"The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto.

Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. . . "

If I click 'upgrade' it says "iphoto was unable to open this library" then closes.

I had 10.6 on my old hard drive, and 10.6 on my new one. Nothing should be different. I can see the individual photos by going to 'show package contents.'

Thank you!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 7:59 PM

4 replies

Jan 27, 2013 8:05 AM in response to LarryHN

That is true, to a point, I am finding. (Though I wish the guy at the Apple store had said it as succinctly as you just did.) However, it is done. My data is here, on my new hard drive. Basically, my entire old computer is in a folder on my desktop. This is kind of OK with me, as I didn't particularly want to restore it exactly as it was. However, I am having a crazy hard time trying to make it all work. But it is all there.

I can access all my photos (though I can't delete any). I've got the free version of the iPhoto Library Manager. I understand that I can merge my new and old libraries with it, if I get the paid version. I am just trying to find some way to get iPhoto to work without paying, as I don't have a job.

I have no particular attachment to iPhoto either. All I am seeking is advice on how to deal with the photos I have stuck in an iPhoto Library that iPhoto can't open. Another photo program, paid version of Library Manager, some fix for iPhoto.

Jan 27, 2013 8:15 AM in response to jinxella

At this stage you do not have an iPhoto library - an iPhoto library is a special folder (called a package) that contains many elements - original photos, previews of modified photos, thumbnails and files describing to iPhoto what is there, what edits have been made, how to connect the dots so to speak - simply having a package named iPhoto library is not an iPhoto library and to get an iPhoto library from a Time machine Backup you have to use TM to restore the library - it is the only way to properly collect all of the correct elements and put the puzzle back together

Your only alternatives are

1 - to use TM to restore the library (launch TM and go to the proper time, select the Photo library and click restore

or

2 - go into the TM backup and find all of your original photos and copy them out and then create a new iPhoto library using iPhoto and importing the original photos

for detailed help on Time Machine post in the TM forum

LN

iphoto library needs to be upgraded?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.