Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App for OS X Snow Leopard ?.... Have a ? before I DL

it seems like a good app ad has 4 out of 5 stars by both users and editors. Anyoe hear of Onyx. it's for maitenance ad optimazation, It says this and i'm certaily not a pro atthis stuff. The publisher writes this

OnyX is a multifunction utility that enables you to verify the startup volume and the structure of its system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Spotlight, and some of the Apple-owned applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more.

it sounds good. I dont understand what is in red... mileage?? Thought maybe someone here might know about this.

OnyX can even help you run Unix utilities, change your desktop to an animated background, and unlock hidden functions in apps like Safari and iTunes. As with all OS-tinkering applications of this kind, most features work most of the time, but your mileage may vary when it comes to effectiveness and stability--so buyer beware (especially given that OnyX doesn't cost anything).

Thank you!!🙂

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 12:45 AM

22 replies

Jan 27, 2013 3:36 AM in response to seventy one

Hey there Kent. thaks for the respose. Hmmmm.. so let me see if I have this right. you live near a castle and will own it soon, but are't really there yet with the funds.... Or B) You live near a castle and pass it frequetly and you dream of it being yours someday or C) the tid bit about the castle was just you blabbing about nosense. So, A B or C? I love a lot of musicians from the UK. Good tunes come out of there.

I'm goig to see what other program I can use. I have a to of duplicate apps and files, no memory space left, I need some serious trashing of stuff on this mac. I don't want it to break from overload. My God i've dropped it a few times, spilled Sierra Mist right ito the back of the thing where the fan is. I love this little white brilliant piece of technology.

I'll keep looking to see what I can find thaks for responding.

Jan 27, 2013 3:44 AM in response to MissUnderstood

Onyx, if you don't know what you're doing, can get you into big trouble. It is really meant only for troubleshooting, not general maintenance, which is not needed on a Mac.

Also, don't go by reviews and stay as far away as possible from garbage like MacKeeper.

See Linc Davis's comments on maintenance here

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4412487?start=0&tstart=0

Jan 27, 2013 10:11 AM in response to WZZZ

I'm getting so ****** off right now. Because I cant just DL'd something because people cant be trusted!! On one of my other discussions that i started whom ever keeps telling me to DL their trash I beelive I DL'd it a while ago and ive deleted the app, but can't get rid of the residue of the publishers slime .

Where are all the darn apps. I am so angry right now. I have stuff to do today and all i have to do is dl a simple program that gets rid of the duplicates that I have. I have sooooo many to do this manually. HA... by the time i find an app... i prob could get rid of the files manually!.... 😠

<Edited By Host>

Jan 27, 2013 12:29 PM in response to MissUnderstood

MissUnderstood wrote:

yes I know... F that Mackeeper! What's Trash it? I just dont have time to read stuff right now. I want to DL something and not have to worry that I DL'd something that is going to to wreck my mac. Ughh

That is a sure way to make things worse, allowing some app to delete stuff that it thinks is not needed is a bad idea, calm down and approach this more coherently.

Question 1

Do you have a backup in case you break something, or are we on the wire without the net?

Jan 28, 2013 12:33 AM in response to MissUnderstood

Good morning, Missunderstood,

I hope you enjoyed your tea and found some help in the article Solving Trash Problems

I'm sure there will be something there ... but if I can alert you, you should not get involved with 'terminal' unless you are really confident with what you are doing. It can be (as the name suggests) terminal.

Been reading a little from your biography; I can now see why it is important to be able to use your machine. Perhaps someone local with an interest in your project will offer practical help to sort out your machine.

Wish you well,

App for OS X Snow Leopard ?.... Have a ? before I DL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.