Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferred picture quality poor on ipad

I have just bought an IPad 32Gb wifi with retina, and have transferred from the PC (via ITunes) the family photo album. We have been viewing these on a Sony photo frame from a memory stick and they look great on this. The Ipad has a similar screen size, but they are really grainy and look so poor that its just annoying. Why has the picture quality been degraded to such an extent? Have I missed a setting somewhere?

iPad, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 4:58 AM

13 replies

Jan 27, 2013 6:20 AM in response to Diavonex

No, they are on my PC hard disk, and in ITunes/Photo i secelected the folders on the PC for sync to the Ipad. I have previous synced the same way to IPod touch and Iphone 4 and never had this degradation in quality?

iPhoto may get around the problem, but thats not the point is it? You should be able to sync though Itunes Photos to the iPad so they at least look good quality - i dont mind if there is a bit of compression/resizing along the way, but they should be adjusted based on destination screen size and quality.

Jan 27, 2013 6:32 AM in response to peteindorset

I did not suggest using iPhoto to "get around the problem". I suggested using it to find out what the problem is. IPhoto wouldn't solve this problem anyway.

What exactly is the screen size of the Sony picture frame that you have?

Do you know what the horizontal and vertical pixel dimensions are?

How does this compare with the retina iPad which has a screen size of ~7.75'' x 5.8'' and a resolution of 2048 x 1536?

Jan 27, 2013 8:02 AM in response to peteindorset

OK. So I downloaded IPhoto, and although it showed the photo thumbnails for the directories (2006, 2007, 2008 photos etc) when you looked inside again although it showed blanks for the photos, no photo content. I then tried to look at the camera roll of photos taken with the IPad yesterday, and the software crashed.

So....I deleted all of folders and re-synced with ITunes but only 100 photos this time. They looked great, so I increased to 300 photos....and they look fine.

My conclusion is that when it sync's, its either sending over a low res version first to set the structure and then updates with a high res version once the entire package being synced is known and because it took so long it must have gone into sleep half way through (i left it syncing when I went to bed last night). or it adjusts the degree of compression depending on how many files you are looking to transfer rather than limiting the number of files. FYI the family photo archive back to 2006 was 6000 photos. I'll now try adding these a folder at a time.

It does sound a bit like the old windows joke about turning everything off and on again, but it did fix it it seems.

Any further thoughts? (ps is there a way of selecting folders at different levels within several folders or is it just whole folders selected at same level in ITunes photo sync? For instance I hold everything by year, and by season within year, but there is also a folder for "best" in the year which is a duplicate of my favourites - I want all seasons in the year, but not best, and each year folder 2006-2012 )

Thanks all for your help

transferred picture quality poor on ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.