Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double NAT

Hello. I am hoping someone may help me resolve a "Double NAT" issue. My connection is as follows: Verizon ISP --> Verizon Fios router (MI424WR) --> AirPort Extreme (via ethernet cable to the WAN input port) - iMac (via wireless connection to AirPort Extreme). Within the iMac AirPort Utility, the AirPort Extreme shows a "Double NAT" error message. I understand this is because NAT is active on both the Verizon Fios router and the AirPort Extreme; however, I must have the NAT active on the AirPort Extreme in order to utilize the guest network option (which is required for my business). Any suggestions to eliminate the "Double NAT" issue? Thank you.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 7:53 AM

Unless the ISP router supports a modem only mode, then there is no way to eliminate Double NAT.

5 replies

Jan 27, 2013 8:18 AM in response to bpdempsey1

I'm not clear on whether the Fios router is providing other services to the network.

It might be possible to configure the Fios router to act as a simple modem. The questions here would be:

1) Is it possible?

2) Will Fios tell you how to do it?

3) Will Fios support this type of configuration?

Rather than jump through these hoops, it would be much simpler to ask Verizon to swap the router for a simple bridge mode modem. That would eliminate the Double NAT condition, the AirPort would speed up a bit and the whole network would be more stable.

Otherwise, you will have to live with Double NAT on the network. Apple devices don't like this error, so whenever you update firmware or make an operating system update, the AirPort will likely revert to Bridge Mode and the Guest Network will disappear. So, you'll need to keep an eye on things.

Feb 10, 2016 11:19 PM in response to brooklynjeff

Expanding on the thread. Ignoring the Double NAT error helped in getting internet and the aiport set up. So far, all devices can hook up to the internet via the airport. However, devices connected directly to the airport using an ethernet cable cannot connect to the internet. Is this a Double NAT side-effect? If so, what are other side effects of this "error"?

Feb 11, 2016 6:33 AM in response to AmericanFillie

Double NAT behavior on a network is unpredictable.

The NAT error can produce any number of issues including connection problems between devices, slow Internet browsing, some websites will appear while others do not, online gaming issues, and the list goes on.

Ignoring the error is kind of like putting a piece of tape over the "Check Engine" light in your car to make problems go away. Sometimes you can get away with it, but it is not recommended.

Double NAT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.