Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My number is "Unknown", Can I add it?

Hello

I'm trying to activate iMessage on my phone number, but when I go to Settings > Phone, it shows that my number is "Unknown"!

I contacted the telco, and they didn't help with anything. They have no idea about any information stored into SIM cards, whatsoever!

Now, I want to know if there's a possible way to add my number into the SIM card? Maybe by using another phone, any suggestions?

I have iPhone 5 A1429 GSM iOS 6.0.2

Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 8:18 AM

13 replies

Jan 27, 2013 8:29 AM in response to iMurad07

OK. If possible, try to get hold of another sim card from the same carrier, put that in your phone and see if the phone number assigned to that sim card appears under Settings-Phone. This will help you determine whether the issue is with your phone or your sim card. If the number appears - get yourself a new sim card. Otherwise, take the phone to an Apple retailer or Genius Bar

Jan 27, 2013 8:49 AM in response to iMurad07

Yes, my phone number shows up under Settings>Phone and I am able to change it to anything I want. For instance, I just changed it to "911" to see if that would work 🙂

This is obviously an issue with your carrier, then. Which carrier are you on?

If your phone is unlocked, you might want to try inserting a sim card from another carrier - at which point the phone number of that sim should show up in Settings>Phone and you would then be able to change it to your actual phone number, and then put your original sim card back in. Long shot, but it might work...

My number is "Unknown", Can I add it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.