Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AE Wireless Network Slow

Just added new Airport Extreme and setup home wireless network. Also have Xfinity Security system which requires the Netgear N 150 Router to be first from my Motorola Cable modem. The AE is daisy chained second from the Netgear. Ethernet connections to AE are fast but Wireless connections from iPAD very slow. Settings seem fine (maybe).

Luis

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 9:36 AM

8 replies

Jan 29, 2013 6:54 PM in response to Tesserax

Bridge off, no roaming newwork but it is configured secondary, or daisy chained, behind the Comcast supplied NetGear N 150 router for home security. The NetGear, setup by Comcast technicians, doen't like being secondary to another router. The wireless cameras is communicating with the NetGear somehow but I don't see a network. Thought maybe the NetGear firewall was on but I cannot get into the router and Comcast does not give out the password.

Frustrating.

Jan 30, 2013 8:56 AM in response to LuisBorges

Bridge off, no roaming newwork but it is configured secondary, or daisy chained, behind the Comcast supplied NetGear N 150 router for home security.

In this configuration the AEBS is operating a separate IP subnet from the Netgear router. Devices connected either to the AEBS or the Netgear routers would NOT be able to "see" each other ... only other devices connected to the router on the same subnet. Is this what you wanted?

Feb 2, 2013 9:19 AM in response to Tesserax

The slow speed is with devices on the AE wireless network, such as iPADs and laptop. when connected by ethernet to the NetGear my laptop is very very fast. Sometimes the devices, i.e. iPAD will actually time out but it usually takes forever to load web page. What should I use to actually measure the speed? and thanks for you help, by the way.

Feb 2, 2013 10:02 AM in response to LuisBorges

What I'm trying to ascertain is whether or not the problem is the bandwidth performance of the wireless/wired network provided by AEBS or the WAN-to-LAN interface of the AEBS is the issue.

To test the former you would want to measure the bandwidth between devices on the AEBS' local network. That means you would want to run at least one test between two wireless devices connected to the AEBS' wireless nework. There are a number of utilities out there to take bandwidth measurements on your local wireless network. One that I would recommend is: WiFiPerf, which you can get from the Apple App Store.

To test the latter you will want to run at least four tests: 1) Between an AEBS wireless client and the Internet, 2) between an AEBS wired client and the Internet, 3) between a Netgear wireless client and the Internet, and 4) between a Netgear wired client and the Internet. Here I would recommend Speedtest.net.

AE Wireless Network Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.