Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD player and No IR remote on new 27"iMac

Hi Guys

So I now have an external DVD player but the apple remote App for my iphone only works with Itunes. Does anyone have any ideas of a work around so that I can remotely control DVD player as we used to be able to do?

Thanks

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 9:50 AM

16 replies

Jan 27, 2013 11:32 AM in response to Shootist007

Hi

I tried it last night. It seems that I can only see music if I try to use the App solution and play with itunes.

The Apple "Remote" App offers apple tv but I do not have any TV and pretty much have used my iMacs to date as a means of watching movies and viewing catch-up TV. I don't want to have to invest in yet another piece of hardware and buy a TV licence ( living in UK) just so that I can watch the occasional TV.

I have tried using itunes to download and watch movies but they are horribly expensive compared to owning a dvd and require a really fast, unrestricted, broadband connection. Another issue is HD space for itunes downloaded movies. I was going to go for the 3TB fusion drive until I found out on the discussions that Bootcamp would not work with it so had to take a step back from that.

The only reason I havent gone to Blu ray is because Apple have never supported it and the hardware/software options out there all seem unreliable or involve ripping the discs ( completely illegal). That is why I have stuck to DVD and now find myself really stuck.

Anyway, I digress.

It has been years since I have had to deal with any issues with a Mac so I am a little fed up. Apologies.

Any knowledge on this would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 13, 2013 4:19 PM in response to Joseph-O-Connor

How about using the Magic Trackpad? Even the Wireless Keyboard that came with you iMac will allow you to pause (space) and fast forward/rewind (CMD-cursor keys) the movie. Works fine for me. In fact, I'm happy that the iMac and retina MacBookPro don't respond to the Appe Remote, as they would also do that when I use the remote for the Apple TV. BTW, I had similar issues about movies as you, but found a decent solution: Renting HD movies on iTunes through Apple TV on a projector (works well through a 16 MB/s ADSL), play DVDs with the USB Superdrive on the iMac or the projector and use the wireless keyboard to control DVD player. However, even though I have hundreds of DVDs, I find myself often renting a movie on iTunes that I have the DVD of, just because of the stunning 1080p images.

BTW, a very good TV receiver for the Mac is Elgato EyeTV, available in several versions. Don't know about availablilty in the UK, though. That replaced our classic SatTV set long ago on a 2006 17" MBP. It even streams the TV signal into your home wifi network, so you can watch TV on the iPad, or MBP anywhere in the house. Provided your wifi connection is excellent at the places where you want to watch TV.

How are your chances to increase your broadband bandwidth? Seems more important to me than the missing IR receiver on the new Macs.

Mar 13, 2013 8:26 PM in response to Joseph-O-Connor

There is a Remote app for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad that will remote control your entire Mac over WiFi

It uses your iDevice as the remote and communicates with your Mac using a helper app you install onto your Mac.

It's called

Rowmote Pro

http://regularrateandrhythm.com/apps/rowmote-pro/

I use this app both on my iPod Touch and iPad. Works great with all Macs

I Have this installed on my 2009, 27 inch screen Intel iMac and it this was installed on my old 2003 PowerMac G4 MDD.

This should solve any problems with either the new model iMacs without IR capability or iMacs whose IR signal and remote no longer function or Macs that normally do not have any IR remote capability.

Good Luck!

🙂

Mar 16, 2013 1:30 AM in response to Flying-Orlando

Yes, very funny.

I have tried the sitting with my wireless keyboard trying to watch a movie....... Great idea, really practical.

I have also used my mouse, but I need to bring up the DVD player controller to just pause and it doesn't do anything with FF or RW, or volume. Another cracking idea.

So I have tried the apps using my iPhone and I sit there and wonder "what on earth happened to common sense?"

It's a phone! I'd like it to work better as a phone not fill in the gaps left by Apples current policy of de-specking every device they've got.

If it really is so important to have all things smaller, slimmer and lighter how about a remote control that did what it should do and came in at about 60mm x 18mm x 5mm?

And no, iTunes is not the answer. I am on a supposedly 30gb connection but no matter how much I complain rarely get more than 2mb. ( for all those in the UK, avoid Virgin Media!). So I look to other providers and find that if I download over 2.5gb it is called excessive use and get my connection strangled!

No HD movies from iTunes then. I tried it last week and it took 6 hours before I could watch the movie.

As an industrial designer I am keenly aware of things such as usability as well as the cost of IR receivers and their low power consumption. I also try to make things better. I graduated the same year as Jonny Ive and at tangerine and in his early days at Apple he did good work. Whatever happened to " with Apple, things just work"?

I see no understanding of any of this coming out of Apple. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Maybe Apple need to take their own advice and "Think Different."

Now we have to develop Apps to make their products work! I have been using Apple products since 1993. It's insane.

Mar 16, 2013 9:56 AM in response to Joseph O_Connor

You can rant all you want.

I have given you a perfectly viable option and a very good app for remote controlling your iMac, if you own an iPhone or any other iDevice.

Did you even try this app?

It's a very good app and works with just about every media oriented app on your iMac!

Your iPhone is a " smart phone" after all.

What's is your flippin' issue with using your iPhone or any other iDevice as some other function or device?

This is what these devices are designed for.

Your using an Apple device to control another Apple device and it's a device you always have with you.

It's not another little peripheral device that works with your Mac that you have to keep track of.

Do you use Wifi on your iDevices and iMac?

I Don't understand all of this ranting and raving.

This is not that big a deal.

The reason earlier iMacs had a dedicated IR remote and IR port was to remote control the Front Row app.

Is Front Row still in OS X in OS X 10.8 Mt. Lion?

You asked for a solution to the lack of an IR port and receiver, Other, as well as myself, have offered you solutions.

Pick the best solution for you and use it!

Mar 16, 2013 12:25 PM in response to MichelPM

A rant? Mmmm

Yes, I have tried Rowmote and while it seems to work so far I am entitled to question the collective sanity of a company I care a lot about, namely Apple, but more particularly those making decisions on product specifications.

If I remember right remotes came with the first iMacs, and it was a lot better than the current one. And I'd quite like my iPhone to work better as a phone, first and foremost.

Q.Why do people like Evan Schoenberg even have to write Apps like this? (thanks by the way!)

A. Because Apple are systematically de-functionalising their computers in this "post PC era" and getting us to pay extra to regain functionality. That bothers me and the issue of the remote, though small to some is indicative of wider issues.

But I can’t be bothered with all this" they can do no wrong" and put downs from those who adhere to such.

I am still holding out for some common sense to prevail (and a Mac Pro sometime this year ). In the meantime I will continue to hope that they will truly UPgrade it, unlike some recent product launches and continue to question them when they go off the rails.

I have a fully paid up right to do so. Apple are part of my life. I stuck with them through the mess of 1994-97, often times since and still do today.

Thank you for the answer to my question. No thank you for the vitriol

DVD player and No IR remote on new 27"iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.