Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Drive Doesn't Show Up When Booting

I have an iMac (intel) 10.5.8, and I want to reset my Macintosh HD and I found I could do it using disk utility when booting from another source. Unfortunatly I don't have the installation disc (I bought the mac 2nd hand) so I tried backing up my computer to an wxternal hard drive and booting it from that. so I turned on the computer and held Option until the Macintosh HD showed up. I was told my other external drive would too, but it doesn't, so i can only boot it from the Macintosh HD. IF anyone can help that would be great! or come up with other options to reset my HARD DRIVE!! Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 10:35 AM

5 replies

Jan 27, 2013 10:44 AM in response to mKano888

How did you backup your internal hard drive to the external? In order to boot a Macintosh has to be partitioned using the GUID scheme and then formatted as Mac OS extended Journaled. Both operations are performed in Disk Utility. You can clone your drive to to the external using a utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper. I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish without install discs. When you clone a drive you're making an exact copy. You shoud probably look at calling Apple and requesting a set of original discs or purchase a full install of Snow Leopard at http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Jan 27, 2013 11:34 AM in response to mKano888

I backed it up with Time machine, I tried using disk utility but when I tried to verify the Hard Drive it said something like "ERROR volume block count" something. before i clone it again I need to know if time machine is ok. maybe I need to rename something so it will read it? can I maybe get the 10.5.8 version on mac online and put it on the hard drive?

External Drive Doesn't Show Up When Booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.