Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing OS X Tiger on a iMac G4

Hi everyone,

I got this old iMac G4 (sunflower) from a friend a few months ago. It runs under Panther, and I would love to install a new OSX version and delete everything that's on it as the iMac is very slow.

I've managed to get a Tiger installation disk. Unfortunalety, as soon as I put the CD in, it wasn't recognized by the machine ( no reaction at all ), and the CD was ejected after a few seconds. So I got this external DVD reader and tried again : it works, the CD is recognized and I can open it.

I double clicked on OSX Installation, the machine asked for a password in order to reboot, and reboots. But then the computer starts again, and I'm back on my desktop. Tried it again a few times, but it does the same thing everytime.

Even tried to hold the C key while the computer was starting, no reaction at all.

Has anyone seen this problem before ? How could I manage to install Tiger from the cd ?

Thank you for reading

iMac, Mac OS X (10.3.x), iMac G4 ( PPC )

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 12:37 PM

6 replies

Jan 27, 2013 2:13 PM in response to rccharles

Dear Rccharles,

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, this doesn't make any difference.

I clicked on the HD picture ( no reaction, it doesn't get highlighted ), then pressed on the right key. This brings me back to my desktop. I tried to launch the installation again after this but it does the same : reboots the iMac without changing anything.

Is this because the reinstallation cd is in a external cd reader ( plugged by usb ) ?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2013 3:11 PM in response to YoungTim

This brings me back to my desktop.

You clicked on the hd. There is a default one already highlighted.

I tried to launch the installation again after this but it does the same : reboots the iMac without changing anything.

Seems like it booted from the hd.

Is this because the reinstallation cd is in a external cd reader ( plugged by usb ) ?

You need an external firewire dvd reader. These machines will not boot from usb.

for laughs, try internal drive. again. option key

if you have an external firewire hd, you can hack to dvd. I did.

Robert

Aug 17, 2015 1:25 PM in response to rccharles

I recently purchased a Snowball iMac (G4 I'm pretty sure). I followed your instructions and I have the main hard drive highlighted the internal drive and then it boots me into the desktop. The reason I am reinstalling is because when I turn the machine on it just boots to a blue screen. No dock, no finder. Hope someone can help me. Thanks!

Aug 17, 2015 4:08 PM in response to Foxy754

You should have started your own thread. I doubt you have the same problem as the original poster. I'm confused about whether the install went OK or failed.

You need to open a new discussion on this topic. It can be confusing on how to start a new discussion.

1) Find the community you wish to create a new question.

Site map of Communities and Categories

2) Look to the right of the panel, click "New" then click "Discussion".

User uploaded file

Installing OS X Tiger on a iMac G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.