Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX suddenly stopped recognizing my camera - Time Sensitive

I have been using FCPX version 10.0.5 with my Sony Exmor R Handycam HDR-CX560 (which connects via USB) for about 8 months now with no problems importing media directly to FCPX. All of a sudden when I plug the camera in, my computer recognizes the drives (the icons show up on my desktop) but when I open the "import from camera" window, the two drives from the camera show up for like 2 seconds with the "loading" circle to the right but then disappear. I have tried the "open archive" option but it does the same thing. The drive will show up for 2 seconds with the cirlce and then disappear.

I have researched and from what I can see, I might have to reformat the camera, but I have material on there that I cannot lose so if I can't fix this issue, is there a program that will let me import my media to my hard drive and then use it in FCPX

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 12:29 PM

11 replies

Jan 27, 2013 3:59 PM in response to JROD2580

I think you are right that reformatting would fix this.

If the camera can still play the clips, there is a chance you can salvage them even if FCPX can't see them.

I would suggest that you use DISK UTILITY. Should be in your Applications/Utilities folder.

If you have a camera SDHC card, make a disk image of the entire card using Disk Utility. You can then mount this disk image and import from it as if it were a camera archive.

In the FCPX Import screen, locate the disk image under Devices and open it there.

If your camera has a hard drive rather than an SDHC card, you can try creating a disk image of the entire hard drive of the camera. You may need a lot of disk space for this. You can look at the hard drive in the Finder and find out how much space is used. Then create a custom size Disk Image with read and write capabilities that is a little larger than this size. Then copy the entire contents of the card to this blank disk image. Then import from there.

Jan 27, 2013 4:42 PM in response to AppleMan1958

In the process of making the disk image of the cameras hard drive. Will let you know if this works. I sure hope it does.

After I get everything copied, if it allows me to import my video should I go ahead and reformat the camera?

Also, does adobe bridge support exporting video? I tried that route but it only exported the video thumbnails.

Thanks for the help!

Jan 27, 2013 4:57 PM in response to JROD2580

If this works (jury is still out), then yes you can reformat the camera. Use the camera's menu to do the reformat. Some will call it initializing. Some will call it formatting. My camera does not have a hard drive, so I am not certain about those.

Formatting for camera cards is almost always FAT32 and FAT32 tends to get fragmented over time, so I am in the habit of reformatting my card after every time I create a camera archive, just so I don't have to worry about it.

Jan 27, 2013 5:51 PM in response to JROD2580

Try using Image Capture, located, in side your application folder.

Create a new folder on your deck top.

Connect via USB, turn your camera on, and look to the left side, and see if your camera icon shows up.

Look to the bottom to access your folder. If the camera icon shows up, you can import either single files, or import all, by clicking on either. If it imports your files, then you can turn yor camera off, and then disconnect the USB cable.

Hope this helps.

Jan 27, 2013 8:36 PM in response to russ Andris1

Appleman: I created the DMG and copied everything from the folder. It still does the same thing as it did when I tried importing from the camera itsself. Are you familiar with Adobe Premiere Pro cs6? Premiere will recognize the video files. I am just not sure how to save them to the hard drive using Premiere. Thanks for all your help so far. I wish it would have worked!

Russ: Image Capture only captures still images. I need to import videos. Thanks, though.

Jan 30, 2013 10:13 PM in response to JROD2580

I solved the issue! Well, kind of. I found a conversion program that converts files to quick time format. It's called VoltaicHD. It worked perfectly. Converted the .MTS files into a readable format for final cut pro and they are still high definition. It took 33 hours to convert the material but it was well worth it.

Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully this thread will help future users.

FCPX suddenly stopped recognizing my camera - Time Sensitive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.