Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I pull photos from iphoto into Photoshop to edit them?

Uploaded some photos on my new Apple Mini (I'm converting from Windows to Mac) and they uploaded fine - but then I couldn't see how to get them from iphoto into Photoshop to edit them. Surely they must automatically save but if so, where??

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 4:10 PM

13 replies

Jan 27, 2013 6:30 PM in response to Seafire123

In the iPhoto preferences set PS as teh external editor (edit in ==> select PS) and when you double click to edit iPhoto will open PS and pass the photo to it for editing - when editing is complete save (not save as) to return the edited version to iPhoto and update the iPhoto database

If you want to normally edit in iPhoto and occasionally in PS once you have set PS as the external editor change the edit in back to iPhoto and not normal editing will be in iPhoto - right click on a photo and you can select PS as the editor

@den.thed - that is not the correct way to use an external editor with iPhoto

LN

Jan 31, 2013 10:31 AM in response to Seafire123

Using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop or Photoshop Elememts as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

NOTE: With Photoshop Elements the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Note: to switch between iPhoto and PS or PSE as the editor of choice Control (right)-click on the thumbnail and select either Edit in iPhoto or Edit in External Editor from the contextual menu. If you use iPhoto to edit more than PSE re-select iPhoto in the iPhoto General preference pane. Then iPhoto will be the default editor and you can use the contextual menu to select PSE for your editor when desired.

OT

Jan 31, 2013 12:28 PM in response to Seafire123

What version of iPhoto do you have?

Assuming iPhoto '11 the selection is in the iPhoto preferences ==> advanced - Edit in

And you choose between iPhoto and an external editor - if there is a previous external editored selecte reselect it and a new seletion window will open when you select the editor your want - depending on what version of PhotoShop you have the correct program to select may be a bit tricky to find

You really need to provide full informatin including versions of software you are referenceing since there are differences between different versions

LN

Jan 31, 2013 12:42 PM in response to LarryHN

Hadn't realised that. I do have '11 and I had put Photoshop into the iPhoto preferences already, from the first suggestion. So hopefully it'll work now.

Steep learning curve finding out about all this stuff. I have to say some of it isn't particularly useful - e.g. having to use Image Capture instead of Epson Scan, as Mountain Lion doesn't recognise Epson Scan. So I'm back to using Windows to scan stuff in - not exactly what I hoped for when I bought an Apple.

But thank you very much for your help, I do appreciate it.

Feb 1, 2013 1:59 PM in response to LarryHN

Unfortunately Epson Scan doesn't work with Mountain Lion - or at least, it doesn't seem to (Epson said it had to be an update for my particular scanner but when I did that, the scanner and the system wouldn't talk to each other. It may be I've not done the update properly, so I'll talk to Epson first before doing something radical like paying for something like VueScan.

How can I pull photos from iphoto into Photoshop to edit them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.