Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got a new harddrive for my MacBook Pro and successfully restored the mac partition, but I don't know how to restore the bootcamp partition.

So I got a new hard drive for my early 2009 version Mac Book Pro and some new memory to speed the little guy up. I was trying to copy the Mac and BOOTCAMP partitions onto the new drive, and I am close, but not home free.

Here's what I have done so far:

1. I got an external cage thing for the new/old HD.
  2. I put the new HD in the cage and cloned the mac and BOOTCAMP partitions to the new disk while booted from a DVD.
  3. I put the new drive in the machine and the old one in the cage.
  4. I booted the machine and it loaded the mac side fine.
  5. When I tried to use the 'option' key to, select the system I wanted to boot into on the reboot, it didn't show me the windows (bootcamp) option.

That's where I am at. When I go into disk utility it shows my BOOTCAMP partition in the list of logical disks under my disk, but it is grayed out. I can mount it, but when I restart, I can't select it. I feel like I am so, so close. What do I need to do?

(BTW, the old drive, the dude I am trying to clone, still exists in its entirety in the cage; I could put it back in and go from there if I had to.)

Let me know what you all think!

-Ricardo

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 5:42 PM

There are no replies.

I got a new harddrive for my MacBook Pro and successfully restored the mac partition, but I don't know how to restore the bootcamp partition.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.