You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

KeyBoard typing by itself

I have an imac

I have a problem with my keyboard and it is get to be very annoying. I have two external keyboards that I have tried this with, one the mac keyboard and the other would be a razor gaming keyboard.

so when I type or just leave the keyboard, it would randomly start typing "qweqweqweqweqwe" I would have to backspace over and over again.

I think this has to do something with some type of software or viruse...

I do not know how to get rid of it or solve the issue.

the only way I know it will stop is if disconnected the usb keyboard. Both keyboards work will with other PC, so the problem is with my Imac.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 5:45 PM

5 replies

Jan 4, 2017 8:09 AM in response to fr332live

This is an old question but I had this happen to me and the answer was that I made a silly mistake. I have a Bluetooth keyboard that I connected to my Mac as a test. It worked fine.

The next day, my mac started typing things by itself. I rebooted, pulled the power and replugged it, etc. and assumed there was something wrong with my keyboard.

The problem turned out to be that my keys had fallen on the Bluetooth keyboard, which I had moved into a corner, and were resting on the space bar, which, of course, caused the problem. Maybe something similar is happening to you?

Jan 28, 2013 1:50 PM in response to fr332live

Hello,

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

KeyBoard typing by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.