Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2007 A1226 Macbook Pro: Fans out of control, will not shut down, and temp sensors have gone offline.

So my MBP, just an hour or so ago, failed to shut down. I click Apple->Shut down, but the computer instead restarts and while loading OS X, gives me an error that says "You restarted your computer because of an error." The fans are maxed out right now, there is -no- process causing thisl Also, I use iStatMenus to monitor my temperatures, and all of the CPU sensors have gone offline, iStat is only reporting temps for the hard drive and battery.

iStat also seems to have lost the ability to control my fan speeds. Uninstalling and reinstalling iStat did nothing. Resetting PRAM and the SMC have done nothing either. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 8 GB Ram

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 6:54 PM

11 replies

Jan 27, 2013 7:45 PM in response to jmbrysk

To start up your computer in Apple Hardware Test:

1. Press the power button to turn on your computer.
  2. Press and hold the D key before the gray startup screen appears. If Apple Hardware Test does not start up, see the Additional Information section at the end of this article.
  3. ...

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

a

l

e

r

t

Additional Information

Apple Hardware Test is included on the DVDs that are shipped with some Macintosh computers. If the copy on your hard drive becomes unavailable, use the DVDs to run Apple Hardware Test.

• For Intel-based Apple computers that shipped with Mac OS X v10.5.4 or earlier, Apple Hardware Test is located on the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 and should be included with your computer.
  • For Apple computers that shipped with Mac OS X v10.5.5 to 10.6.7, Apple Hardware Test is located on the Applications Install Disc 2 and should be included with your computer.

Jan 27, 2013 8:31 PM in response to jmbrysk

Does it occur whether or not you hold the d key?

The Kernel Panic message you may be seeing could be caused by a corrupt version of AHT on your Install disc. In that event the Mac may revert to a normal boot.

An inability to run Apple Hardware Test will hinder troubleshooting, but it is more than likely it will report something you already know - that one or more CPU sensors have failed.

Jan 27, 2013 9:41 PM in response to John Galt

I get that box every time I start the computer up now. I will provide the log tomorrow, I'm heading to bed since I work early. For what it's worth, my Windows 7 boot camp partition has software that monitors temps. That software is able to successfully read the temps of the CPU and motherboard, so I don't think I have a hardware problem.

2007 A1226 Macbook Pro: Fans out of control, will not shut down, and temp sensors have gone offline.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.