Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certified RAM Upgrade?

Hi,

Will Apple upgrade my RAM for me? or does Apple not do that? If I upgrade my own RAM will it void my warranty? Any precautions on upgrading?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 8:41 PM

If you are running 10.6.8 do you actually have any warranty to void? Replacing RAM yourself would not void a warranty. It only precludes any damage you might do during the process from being covered under the warranty.

If you take your computer to an Apple retailer they will upgrade RAM for you. If you want to do it yourself it's pretty easy. Visit OWC to find out what RAM you should use, tutorials on how to install it, and any tools you may need (actually just a small Phillips screwdriver.)

If you open your user manual you will also find this information in the section Adding Memory.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2013 8:41 PM in response to greenblue1144

If you are running 10.6.8 do you actually have any warranty to void? Replacing RAM yourself would not void a warranty. It only precludes any damage you might do during the process from being covered under the warranty.

If you take your computer to an Apple retailer they will upgrade RAM for you. If you want to do it yourself it's pretty easy. Visit OWC to find out what RAM you should use, tutorials on how to install it, and any tools you may need (actually just a small Phillips screwdriver.)

If you open your user manual you will also find this information in the section Adding Memory.

Certified RAM Upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.