Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long does it take to import a library using home sharing?

I have about 82GB of music on an older iMac and want to import it permanently into the iTunes on a newer iMac but have never done this before.

Before I start, I'd like to know if I'm going to be tying up my computers for a week!

Should I go for the whole 4,000-plus songs at once, or should I try to plod through playlist by playlist and tell it each time not to import songs that may already be in the new computer. (If I do that, will the song show up in the playlists anyway?)

How have other users approached this with large libraries and what has their experience been like? I'm so glad there's a community here to share their experiences and help other Apple owners!

Thanks so much for any and all responses!

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 12:25 AM

To transfer your songs, don't use Home Sharing. It uses your network to transfer the songs, and it will be so slow (days or weeks to transfer 82 GB).

Instead, you can copy the whole iTunes library to an external disk and transfer it to your new iMac > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751 This is much faster and useful, because you will transfer all your iTunes data from your old Mac, not only songs

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2013 12:25 AM in response to Jordan T

To transfer your songs, don't use Home Sharing. It uses your network to transfer the songs, and it will be so slow (days or weeks to transfer 82 GB).

Instead, you can copy the whole iTunes library to an external disk and transfer it to your new iMac > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751 This is much faster and useful, because you will transfer all your iTunes data from your old Mac, not only songs

How long does it take to import a library using home sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.