Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac experiencing extremely slow internet speeds over wifi!

2012 iMac running 10.8.2, having extremely slow internet speeds over wifi (Ping over 500ms 1Mbps/0.2Mbps), MacBook Pro 10.6 runs fine in the same room (10ms ping 17 Mbps/1 Mbps). Have tried using n, b and g network protocols, wifi signal is strong, used alternate DNS servers, created new network location, changed the MTU number, deleted keychain passwords.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 1:58 AM

4 replies

Jan 28, 2013 2:37 AM in response to Paul_31

No change in performance with different channels, it really is quite bizarre I suppose tomorrow I'll have to carry it into the other room and test it via ethernet and see how the speeds go then. From what I've read there are a number of people reporting similar problems with OSX 10.8.2, could be a software bug, hopefully it is something much simpler though.

Jan 28, 2013 2:39 AM in response to DanGray

It sounds like you've done lots of troubleshooting already but it seems many users have had wifi problems since Lion. Here's an old link that has a few suggestions that still seem to help some using Mountain Lion (although the link refers to Lion). There are also links within the article to check out:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/06/lion-wi-fi-problems-solution-mac/?utm_source=feed burner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29&utm_conten t=FaceBook

Jan 30, 2013 2:38 AM in response to Paul_31

I believe I may have solved it. I turned off the iCloud app which was running photo streaming from iPhoto as well other wireless syncing type things. My Ping is now a healthy 10ms and my downstream is a more tolerable 13 Mbps. I'll continue to monitor it but hopefully there will be no change, it's so nice being able to stream in HD again.

Thanks for the help!

iMac experiencing extremely slow internet speeds over wifi!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.