Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple devices on a single Apple ID - is VPP required?

Hello,

I work in a school that is buying iPads, we currently have 10 which I setup using the apple configurator.

At the moment these iPads are all set up with the same Apple ID (the school one) My main question is will I need to enroll in the volume purchase program in order to use paid apps? and if so does that mean that I will need to create a new Apple ID for every iPad?

These devices belong to the school and will be shared out from a cabinet so it is not acceptable to let an end user configure the device with their own Apple ID.

Thanks.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 5:24 AM

Here's some general info. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5188

 Cheers, Tom 😉

6 replies

Jan 28, 2013 5:37 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thanks, that info helps me out a little. At least I now know that I will be able to install all the apps through configurator, with the VPP.

I guess the answer isnt out there regarding "how many devices per ID" question. Obviously if there was no limit I could purchase an app on one of them and then download that app on all of the iPads with the same ID.

Mar 23, 2013 7:14 AM in response to Prince Sparkle

The Apple Configurator tool robbed my school of @ 60×4 apps.

Here's my mistake. I bought all the apps needed for the whole school in one lump sum. i.e. 350 copies of Pages. Then happily went to Configurator and loaded the spreadsheet. Installed on all the student iPads. Then need the remaining licenses to gift to the teachers and @ 30 for the cart. NOPE! Once they are loaded in to Configurator you can never get them back. Apple said, “sorry”.

I did this for the iWorks suite, iPhoto, & neu.Annotate before I realized what was happening.

This is what to do, in short. From the VPP account, buy the number needed for exactly what you need, just make sure, it's over 20, even if you only need 11, 20 copies is cheaper than 11 because they are half off at 20 or more. Get the spreadsheet generated by the VPP site for the 20 then buy for the next cart or site, it will generate a new spreadsheet of 20 you can give to the computer and its copy of Configurator.

https://schoolipads.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/vpp-configurator-multiple-carts-or- locations/

Sep 23, 2013 5:02 PM in response to Distearth

Robin Hood to the rescue....

The codes are still usable for your other purpose(s).

If you import 100 codes into a version of AC and then only use 10 of them (redeem 10) the remaining 90 are still available. You just can't get them out of AC. So just extract from the original spreadsheet (or delete the first 10 rows) and import the spreadsheet into a second AC. Or gift the remaining 90 codes etc.

If you ever go back to trying to use the 90 codes in the first AC, you will get an error that the codes have been redeemed (if you already used them elsewhere).

Put another way, if you imported the 100 codes into 3 copies of AC, you would not have 300 licenses. Each AC would only redeem a code if it has not already been redeemed by the other 2. Each code redemption is checked to see if it has already been used up at time of redemption.

Multiple devices on a single Apple ID - is VPP required?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.