Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Performs Partial Backup

I am using the Time Capsule as my backup drive. It stopped backing up about 3 weeks ago (returns immediately to the "waiting to backup" state). I deleted my hard drive image on the time capsule, and it backs up about 25 GB before going to "waiting to back up" again. Further attempts to backup show only about 300 MB of progress before it goes back to "waiting." I've tried partitioning, rebooting... pretty much everything I've found online so far. Everything leads to the same result: a partial backup of about 25 GB.

Anybody had this problem before?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Late 2011 MBP

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:03 AM

3 replies

Jan 28, 2013 12:41 PM in response to mwilliams06

It is likely something is corrupted.

How old is the TC?

Load the widget so you can find log messages from TM to find out what is happening.. TM doesn't always give rational explanations.

A1 http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Also try a reset of TM.. A4 and certainly a drive verify. A5.

Did you upgrade or clean install ML onto the Laptop??

Wireless is a real issue if you upgrade installed.

Try doing the backup by ethernet.

Make sure the TC is not in Join a wireless network mode otherwise that won't work. But you should if all else fails extract the TC from the network.. do a full reset and try again completely isolated by ethernet only. When you do this turn off wireless so only ethernet is working.

Jan 28, 2013 6:55 PM in response to mwilliams06

You need to erase the drive.. but if it is "only a few years old" it is near death.. The right answer is it, is already a few years old.. the Gen 1 and Gen 2 often died after 2years due to overheating. They basically become unreliable after 3years now.. so the later ones later.. and the early ones earlier!! But none can be trusted after 3years.

Time Machine Performs Partial Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.