And of course the external hard disk is
- Mac OS Extended formatted (MUST)
- and connected via FireWire - as USB/USB2 performs badly when Video editing is the task.
else I observed reg iMovie, iDVD and FCP 6 - speed increase by
TO GET IT TO WORK SLIGHTLY FASTER
• Minimum of 25Gb free space on Start-Up hard disk
• No other programs running in BackGround e.g. Energy-Saver
• Don’t let HD spin down or be turned off (in Energy-Save)
• Move hard disks that are not to be used to Trash - To be disconnected/turned off
• Goto Spotlight and set the rest of them under Integrity (not to be scanned)
• Set screen-saver to a folder without any photo - then make an active corner (up right for me) and set
pointer to this - turns on screen saver - to show that it has nothing to show
• No File Vault on - Important
• NO - TimeMachine - during iMovie/iDVD work either ! IMPORTANT
• Lot's of icons on DeaskTop/Finder also slows down the Mac noticeably
• Start a new User-Account and log into this and iMovie get's faster too - if a project is in a hurry
• And let Mac run on Mains - not just on battery (PB G4)
Yours Bengt W
thanks for your input.
Im using a G5 Power Mac desktop and Final Cut Pro 6
D1 = 150GB free
D2 = 420GB free
changed scratch disk to internal 1TB drive with 420GB remaining
doesn't seem to make much difference.
also I tried to make a new user account but FCP would not even open in that account. Why would that be?
I have trashed the FCP preferences too.
Yes - then we use very similar set-ups
• dG5 2.5GHz
• several external FW-800 hard disks
BUT - I use in 99% - interlaced SD-Video as result most often got to DVD
I'm VERY conservative regarding
• Video Codec - as I do not want to slow Mac down and make lot's of renderings
• AUDIO - I ONLY USE .aiff 16-bit 48kHz or from Audio-CD (.aiff) 44.1kHz
NO - .mp3, .wma or other alient formats - All converted to .aiff first - then imported into FCP 6.0.6
• Photos - .jpg or .psd (from photoshop - often with layers)
This use to work OK - BUT Space on Boot Disk must never go less than 25GB - ever
Yours Bengt W