Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dose ANY IMEI number MUST show in apple site?

Hello,

i bought a new(?) iPhone4 from a store in israel - not from the אhe official importer but from a known Chain stores.

i would like to mention that the charger was out of the box and attached to it from outside.

after a while i checked the IMEI number in apple website and this is the result i've got:

Sorry, but this is a serial number for a product

that has been replaced. Please check your

information and re-enter your serial numbe

and i also can't check when was the first activation of this device.

i did all that since after a month i had problem with the touch sensors..

what i would like to ask is , if ANY IMEI number must be show up in apple site

Assuming that the device was manufactureed in apple ?

thank you. this is very important.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 9:31 AM

An IMEI number is completely different from tn iPhone's serial number. Apple does not have any public look-up system for an IMEI number. If you entered in the serial number and got that message, then you almost certainly were sold an iPhone that was replaced, probably because it was defective in some way, and has been subsquently sold without authorization. Apple will not be able to help you with this iPhone, so I would suggest you go back to whomever you purchased the iPhone from for assistance.

Regards.

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2013 9:31 AM in response to alpha82

An IMEI number is completely different from tn iPhone's serial number. Apple does not have any public look-up system for an IMEI number. If you entered in the serial number and got that message, then you almost certainly were sold an iPhone that was replaced, probably because it was defective in some way, and has been subsquently sold without authorization. Apple will not be able to help you with this iPhone, so I would suggest you go back to whomever you purchased the iPhone from for assistance.

Regards.

Jan 28, 2013 9:43 AM in response to alpha82

I've never seen any page on Apple's site where you can enter in an IMEI number. Can you provide the URL to that page?

i understand that the IMEI must aslo show in the sim cover? is it right? i my case it not showen.

That's probably due to the iPhone having been sold after being replaced, so the seller replaced the SIM tray with a blank.

Jan 28, 2013 10:19 AM in response to alpha82

alpha82 wrote:

ok I've just entered the serial number and here is the result:

We're sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced. Please check your information and re-enter your serial number. If your information is correct, you may need to

😢

Yep. You bought a phone that was reported lost or stolen, or was replaced and then re-sold illegally.

Jan 28, 2013 10:20 AM in response to alpha82

does the SIM tray is a storng evidence for that the iPhone having been sold after being replaced.

Not necessarily. But the message that you got when you checked the serial number certainly is strong evidence.

what is the difference between IMEI and serial number?

The serial number is what Apple uses to identify your specific iPhone hardware. The IMEI number is what the cell carrier uses to identify a phone in their network.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/IMEI-International-Mobile-Equipment-Iden tity

Regards.

Jan 28, 2013 10:33 AM in response to alpha82

I don't care what some third-party web site says. You purchased from some unauthorized dealer an iPhone which Apple says has been illegitimately sold. There is therefore nothing Apple or their authorized service providers can do for you. You will have to go back to the place where you bought the iPhone and get them to help you.

There's nothing more any of us can do to help you with this.

dose ANY IMEI number MUST show in apple site?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.