Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compact flash cards stopped mounting to Imac and macbook pro. I have tried both a reader and directly from the camera.

I am a photographer, and I do the same thing every single time I load pictures, I use a Targus card reader for my compact flash cards and load them that way. I have a 2011 Imac. and a Nikon d700 camera. I use a variety of compact fash cards. I purchased a macbook pro 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, I tried to unload my photos using the card reader to the macbook pro, and it wouldnt mount, so I hooked the camera directly to the computer, still wouldn't mount. When I got home I tried it on my imac, same issue. I have done this literally hundreds of times and now there is nothing. I have checked all the tabs in finder, and all appropriate items are checked. Nothing should have changed since I last uploaded photos, but nothing will work now. I have tried 3 different usb cables, and many different cf cards. Nothing will work on either mac, However, it all works on my crappy old gateway laptop. Any help would be appreciated. I am at a loss, and I need this to work for my business! I will warn you I am pretty un-knowledgeable when it comes to macs and anything very advanced.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), same issue on Macbook Pro

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 8:54 AM

25 replies

Apr 1, 2013 2:00 PM in response to abeltz

Unfortunately I have no solution for you. But I like many others I have now found out, have exactly the same problem. How on earth to get the images from the CF card onto my iMac. Card reader doesn't work, USB directly in the computer no mounting going on (nor is the CF card visible in Disk Utility). Has anyone got a solution (anything other than to buy a Windows computer, because I do not want that).

Apr 1, 2013 2:10 PM in response to freudsigmund

A slight addition here: I know for fact that the problem lies within Mountain Lion. If I reboot my MBP as windows XP, the CF card mounts without any problem at all. But that is not the way it is supposed to work. I should be able to mount the CF card in my Nikon D700 SLR and transfer the images directly into my iMac... not having to work through a Windows surrounding. (Windows is not supposed to be superior to Apple, darn it).

Apr 1, 2013 3:00 PM in response to abeltz

Were they the same CF cards that worked before or are they newer, higher capacity cards?

I had an old card reader for different cards, and when I bought a newer high capacity card, the card reader didn't work with the newer cards.

The OS didn't matter (it was Leopard). It was the combination of Card and card reader.

I had to buy a newer card reader to make them work.

Apr 1, 2013 4:49 PM in response to freudsigmund

I just found my solution... even though the CF card is not mounting and not visible in Disk Utility... the card is approachable in Nikon Transfer application. I know, it's not how things are supposed to work, but at last it works for me for now.

I still remain thinking about downgrading to Snowleopard still since this and all other troubles began after upgrading to Lion.

Compact flash cards stopped mounting to Imac and macbook pro. I have tried both a reader and directly from the camera.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.