Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Notes are being deleted!

I just realized a bunch of things I had saved in NOTES on my phone has been deleted on its own. I am not sure why its doing this. I got worried at first but I was able to find my "deleted" notes by going into Mail on Mac and clicking the triangle next to Reminders and then clicking Notes. All of my notes popped up on the screen. I just want to know why they are getting deleted from the phone. A friend of mine is having the same problem with her iPhone as well. She has a PC so where would her notes be? Is there a Reminders folder in Yahoo (she uses yahoo for her main mail client)?

Thanks

iMac, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 10:38 AM

Let me try to beak this down for you. Launch the Notes app on your iOS device and tap the button in the top left corner until you're on the Accounts page.

On the Accounts page you should have several options - This is where you choose the location that your Notes will be saved.

'On this iPhone' will save the Notes to the iPhone the Notes can only be deleted from that iPhone.

'iCloud' may be present if you have set iCloud to sync Notes so you can share them with other iOS devices -These Notes can be deleted from any iOS device set up to sync Notes with that iCloud account.

'Yahoo' or 'Gmail' (if you have both) will save the Notes to the email account - Here's the funny thing about saving Notes to the email account

If you delete a note from the iOS device it will stay in your email as that is where it was saved.

If you delete the note from the Email server via the Mail app of in Safari on the Mail providers site it also deletes the note from the iOS device. This would be like deleting a saved copy of any document on a computer.

My thought is your iOS device is set to save Notes to your Email account and you inadvertently deleted the notes from your device. I don't know for sure but good it's a good thing they where still saved to your email. For your friend I would have her check her email account for the missing notes. Hopefully she can recover them. Personally I would use 'On this iPhone' or 'iCloud' to save the Notes, the email option is to risky as I clean my Mail out on a regular.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2013 10:38 AM in response to DVX100Shooter

Let me try to beak this down for you. Launch the Notes app on your iOS device and tap the button in the top left corner until you're on the Accounts page.

On the Accounts page you should have several options - This is where you choose the location that your Notes will be saved.

'On this iPhone' will save the Notes to the iPhone the Notes can only be deleted from that iPhone.

'iCloud' may be present if you have set iCloud to sync Notes so you can share them with other iOS devices -These Notes can be deleted from any iOS device set up to sync Notes with that iCloud account.

'Yahoo' or 'Gmail' (if you have both) will save the Notes to the email account - Here's the funny thing about saving Notes to the email account

If you delete a note from the iOS device it will stay in your email as that is where it was saved.

If you delete the note from the Email server via the Mail app of in Safari on the Mail providers site it also deletes the note from the iOS device. This would be like deleting a saved copy of any document on a computer.

My thought is your iOS device is set to save Notes to your Email account and you inadvertently deleted the notes from your device. I don't know for sure but good it's a good thing they where still saved to your email. For your friend I would have her check her email account for the missing notes. Hopefully she can recover them. Personally I would use 'On this iPhone' or 'iCloud' to save the Notes, the email option is to risky as I clean my Mail out on a regular.

Apr 29, 2017 11:16 AM in response to austinbake

My Notes locked up. I reloaded it. Nada. I lost ALL my gmail passwords & more. I am LOCKED OUTVOF SEVERAL EMAIL ACCOUNTS BECAUSE THIS APP CRASHED.

I had not backed up on iTunes. I thought icloud would have. Apple and google NO HELP.

I can't find the manufacturer of the My Notes app.

Do you have any suggestions to retrieve stored info on that unstable app?

june.feldman@me.com.

UGH!

My Notes are being deleted!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.