Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slight file size discrepencies between identical photos?

While looking at the metadata of photos I am working with, I have noticed that identical photos in every single aspect of pertinent metadata (lense, focal, other various exif data) happens to have a slight file size discrepency. For instance, a dscf2001 has a file size of 752kbs and the duplicate dscf2001 has the file size of 732kbs. These photos have not been altered in any manner.

This situation happens with a large portion of my duplicate photos. One photo's file size is slightly bigger or smaller than the other photo that is the identical version in every single aspect minus the slight file size difference. Is this a math situation? If I open with another program will these photos appear as the same file size?

Thanks

Aperture 3

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 11:36 AM

11 replies

Jan 28, 2013 12:22 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Every photo duplicate was brought in from the same camera.

For some reason I vaguely remember reading that aperture and finder will show slight size differences for the same exact file but if the file is looked at with another program/app that the files will be identical in size. It had something to do with the language or math of reporting the file size.

Jan 28, 2013 12:29 PM in response to lostindc

You're saying these are separate images taken in the camera? If so what you are seeing is normal. No two images shot in the camera (unless under strict lighting and composition control as in a studio) will have the exact same kbs size.

The image dimensions will be the same and the images will be the same size if you display then at the same settings but the kbs will be different.

This holds for RAW and JPG but the difference will probably be greater with JPG.

Jan 28, 2013 5:53 PM in response to lostindc

Copying files between drives even with different file systems should not cause the files to change size. If that was the case then every time you copied a file you would be changing it.

You might see different sizes if you looked at the file in one place and then in another but two files with same size on file system A should show the same size relative to each other on file system B

Jan 28, 2013 10:15 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

They have been copied between drives with different filesystems (iphoto and aperture and old macbook to new macbook). Maybe this is the issue?

How did you transit your images from iPhoto? Did you export them from iPhoto or import the iPhoto library? Have the images you are comparing been imported from iPhoto at the same time, from the same iPhoto versions?

If you compare the original master image files of the images in question in the Finder, do the originals have the same size?

Slight file size discrepencies between identical photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.