Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove all videos from iPhoto library?

Specs: iPhoto 9.4.2 on MBP retina w/ML 10.8.2.

I exported all videos from iPhoto to my desktop but the videos were still in iPhoto library after export. I learned that exporting them would remove them, according to a onetoone session recently.

I then tried copying all the videos from iPhoto and pasting them into a folder on my desktop, but only 452 out of the 618 videos that were selected and copied were pasted. I want to remove all videos and video thumbnails if any, from my current iPhoto library. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Quad Core! Four is more...

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 10:46 AM

11 replies

Jan 28, 2013 2:35 PM in response to Yer_Man

I'm sorry I didn't explain my desired outcome more clearly; I do not want to delete the videos, I want to "move" the videos out of iPhoto. I'm really good at deleting files.

I'll try exporting them again and see if "every" video makes it to the desired destination, unlike the copy & paste result. This will probably work, so I apologize for taking up your time with this question. I just thought I could move them without deleting from iPhoto.?

Also, I know I'm not supposed to manipulate files in iPhoto from Finder, but that would definitely give me the desired result I'm looking for. Is there no way to do it from Finder without messing up the library?

There are also some video thumbnails that made their way into iPhoto as photos that I'd like to remove. I'm hoping thumbnail annihilator will take care of this, but I'm wondering if this is a common occurance and is there an easy fix for it?

Thank you for clearing up my understanding of exporting Devlin🙂

Jan 28, 2013 2:47 PM in response to downtownbarber

I just thought I could move them without deleting from iPhoto.?

You can't move thing from iPhoto. You export them, and then if you no longer want them in iPhoto you delete them.

Also, I know I'm not supposed to manipulate files in iPhoto from Finder, but that would definitely give me the desired result I'm looking for. Is there no way to do it from Finder without messing up the library?

There is aboslutely no way to this from the Finder without corrupting the Library.

Regards

TD

Jan 28, 2013 7:38 PM in response to Yer_Man

I found out why all of the files didn't copy out of iPhoto. Many of the videos are missing data as shown in the screenshot. There isn't an obvious difference of info between invalid files and good files. And to each bad video, there is duplicate that is fine. Is this a situation where I should find out what's going on or just delete the bad ones?

I couldn't do a full photo below because the file size kept going over 2 MB.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

May 1, 2014 6:58 PM in response to Old Toad

To remove all videos from iPhoto, here's the procedure I followed:

(Using OSX Mavericks 10.9.2 and iPhoto 9.5.1)

1. As a precaution and backup, copy all videos you want to keep from iPhoto to a folder on the Mac or other drive.
  2. Within iPhoto, create a Smart Album with criteria of "photo - is - movie". This will isolate all movies into one view. Note that a Smart Album does not allow you to Trash items that meet it's criteria, so you have to be creative...
  3. Select all items (Command-A) in the Smart Album view.
  4. Create a new Event for the items (select Events -> New Event, then agree by clicking Create to move these to their own Event).
  5. Give the new Event a name by double-clicking on "untitled event" at the top of the window and typing a name. (This is important if you want to locate the Event later.)
  6. While viewing thumbnails in the new Event, select all items.
  7. Move all items to the iPhoto Trash by selecting Photos->Move to Trash. This works since you are not trashing them from a Smart Album.
  8. Navigate to the iPhoto Trash and click Empty Trash.
  9. Navigate to the OSX Trash and empty it.

May 2, 2014 8:47 AM in response to SuperChargedAuburn

Part 2 below describes how to delete directly from a Smart Album:

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library

1 - from an Event or the Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin as follows:

User uploaded file

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, etc.: select the photo(s) and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the trash bin as above.

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from an Event deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

OT

Feb 26, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Old Toad

How do I delete the videos without deleting/removing shared ones with Facebook? I tried the command+option+delete but got a pop up that my shared videos on FB would be removed—and I don't want that.

I am trying to break apart my iPhoto library as it's too big (will not fit on my laptop any longer). So, I am breaking apart the library with several that will now be located on my T drive. The videos themselves will be in their own library on the T drive.

There's got to be a better way then going into each event (there are around 3,000 videos).

Thanks!

How to remove all videos from iPhoto library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.