11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2013 1:07 AM by léonie
greg1424 Level 1 (0 points)

Aperture transfers to PSE11 but Aperture new file does not show PSE changes

I set up Aperture Preps to trnsfer to PSE11 and it transfers perfectly.

Aperture opens a duplicate file (same Photo) and has a different symbol at the bottom right.

However none of the changes/adjustments I make in PSE11 transfer back to Aperture.

I had to sned the PSE file to the desk top and then drag it into Aperture and discard the duplicate file.

I would think that I am doing something wrong with the settings as I do not see the logic to open a duplicate file and not make the adjustments.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me what I am doing wrong

Thanks

Greg

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Kirby Krieger Level 6 (12,510 points)

When you are done editing with PSE, are you closing the open file and electing to save your changes?

• greg1424 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes, that is what I did, in fact in order to save it to the desktop that is what has to be done.

Should I have saved it another way?

Question!

I gather by your response that the PSE11 changes should transfer over to Aperture once I save them in PSE?

Greg

• léonie Level 10 (90,699 points)

One problem with saving in Photoshop and PSE is, that Aperture uses the filename extension "tiff" and PSE will use "tif". Then Aperure will not recognize the saved file. To avoid this, use "Save" and not "Save as".

Have a look at this thread:

Round-tripping to PSE 10                                            

Perhaps PSE 11 has still the same problems as PSE 10.

Léonie

OK!
    (1)

I did use the save button instead of SAVE AS!

(2)
    I made the following change EXCEPT PSE11 version does not say : "Save over Original File"

It says instead: "Save over current file"

Is the wording have the same meaning or do I need to go back and change it back to "Ask if Original" which was the setting it was on?

Thanks for all the help

Greg

• DanK Level 1 (30 points)

Did you ever get an answer to this or figure it out???

Ijust installed PSE 11, and have the ame problem.

Thanks!

Dan

• William Lloyd Level 7 (21,040 points)

Make sure you're saving the document in PSE.  Do NOT do a "save as" as Aperture will lose track of it.  Just use regular command-S when you're done with the change and they'll show up in Aperture.

This is the way it has always worked.  But if you change the name or save location in any way, Aperture will lose track of it and the updates will not be reflected in Aperture.  Let Aperture manage your file locations.  ALWAYS.

The question was just answered good response

Thanks for the quick reply!

Another question: If I edit a photo in PSE, then do a "Save," am I correct that my original unedited image in Aperature will be lost? If so (and if I want to keep the original), then I should make a copy of the original before editing it in PSE, right? Do I do a "Duplicate version" or "New version from original"?

If I do an edit in Aperature, on the other hand, the original still exists. Do I have all of this right????

Thanks!

Dan

Another question: If I edit a photo in PSE, then do a "Save," am I correct that my original unedited image in Aperature will be lost? If so (and if I want to keep the original), then I should make a copy of the original before editing it in PSE, right? Do I do a "Duplicate version" or "New version from original"?

No, when send an image to an external editor from Aperture, then Aperture will make automatically a copy of the original image file. It creates a new original image (quasi master) and sends this to PSE or whatever you are using. Your old original is save and also your old unedited version. You will see your externally edited image as a second image version.

Thanks! Good to know.

OK, I guess I only need to make a copy of a photo if I want to edit it two different ways, right? And what is the difference between "Duplicate version" and "New version from original"? I'm guessing "Duplicate version" copies any editing I've already done. Is that right?

Dan

OK, I guess I only need to make a copy of a photo if I want to edit it two different ways, right? And what is the difference between "Duplicate version" and "New version from original"? I'm guessing "Duplicate version" copies any editing I've already done. Is that right?

Yes, exactly, Dan.

"Duplicate version" will duplicate includings all adjustments and tags, and "New version from original" will discard all changes for this new copy and start from your original file.

Léonie