Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture transfers to PSE11 but Aperture new file does not show PSE changes

I set up Aperture Preps to trnsfer to PSE11 and it transfers perfectly.

Aperture opens a duplicate file (same Photo) and has a different symbol at the bottom right.

However none of the changes/adjustments I make in PSE11 transfer back to Aperture.

I had to sned the PSE file to the desk top and then drag it into Aperture and discard the duplicate file.

I would think that I am doing something wrong with the settings as I do not see the logic to open a duplicate file and not make the adjustments.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me what I am doing wrong

Thanks

Greg

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 11:24 AM

11 replies

Jan 28, 2013 1:14 PM in response to léonie

OK!
(1)

I did use the save button instead of SAVE AS!

(2)
I made the following change EXCEPT PSE11 version does not say : "Save over Original File"

It says instead: "Save over current file"

Is the wording have the same meaning or do I need to go back and change it back to "Ask if Original" which was the setting it was on?

Thanks for all the help

Greg

Apr 9, 2013 5:56 PM in response to DanK

Make sure you're saving the document in PSE. Do NOT do a "save as" as Aperture will lose track of it. Just use regular command-S when you're done with the change and they'll show up in Aperture.

This is the way it has always worked. But if you change the name or save location in any way, Aperture will lose track of it and the updates will not be reflected in Aperture. Let Aperture manage your file locations. ALWAYS.

Apr 9, 2013 6:04 PM in response to William Lloyd

Thanks for the quick reply!

Another question: If I edit a photo in PSE, then do a "Save," am I correct that my original unedited image in Aperature will be lost? If so (and if I want to keep the original), then I should make a copy of the original before editing it in PSE, right? Do I do a "Duplicate version" or "New version from original"?

If I do an edit in Aperature, on the other hand, the original still exists. Do I have all of this right????

Thanks!

Dan

Apr 9, 2013 9:34 PM in response to DanK

Another question: If I edit a photo in PSE, then do a "Save," am I correct that my original unedited image in Aperature will be lost? If so (and if I want to keep the original), then I should make a copy of the original before editing it in PSE, right? Do I do a "Duplicate version" or "New version from original"?

No, when send an image to an external editor from Aperture, then Aperture will make automatically a copy of the original image file. It creates a new original image (quasi master) and sends this to PSE or whatever you are using. Your old original is save and also your old unedited version. You will see your externally edited image as a second image version.

Apr 10, 2013 1:00 AM in response to léonie

Thanks! Good to know.

OK, I guess I only need to make a copy of a photo if I want to edit it two different ways, right? And what is the difference between "Duplicate version" and "New version from original"? I'm guessing "Duplicate version" copies any editing I've already done. Is that right?

Dan

Apr 10, 2013 1:07 AM in response to DanK

OK, I guess I only need to make a copy of a photo if I want to edit it two different ways, right? And what is the difference between "Duplicate version" and "New version from original"? I'm guessing "Duplicate version" copies any editing I've already done. Is that right?

Yes, exactly, Dan.

"Duplicate version" will duplicate includings all adjustments and tags, and "New version from original" will discard all changes for this new copy and start from your original file.

Léonie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.