My previous post was a work in progress. I now have a solution that can be achieved within Pages without any external ePub manipulation.
My Pages document has 4 sections.
- About the Author
- Chapter 1 title and multi-page text
There are no text boxes used. I will walk you through the first 2 sections.
- Type “About the Author” on page 1 and line 1.
- Set style to Heading 1
- Before Paragraph is set to 196 pt. (you will use this to visually tune your vertical position)
- Position cursor before text and press return
- After Paragraph is set to 6 pt.
- Again, position after the text and press return
- Type a 4 - 5 line paragraph about the author
- Select text and set style to
- Set font to your choice.
- Mine was Baskerville Regular 12 pt.
- Full justified, spacing set to -4%.
- Line height set to 1.2
- After paragraph set to 12 pt.
- In Pages preferences, rulers, enable vertical ruler. My units are in inches.
- Turn on ruler view from Pages view menu.
- Select all of the text from step 1.0 and 2.0 to the top of the page.
- Select the left ruler grip and drag top and bottom across to 1.6
- Select the right ruler grip and drag left to 6.2
- Insert Section break
This is what mine looks like on an iPhone 4S with IOS 6.1 and iBooks 3.0.2:
The Dedication part:
- All of step 1 parts from above, except text is “Dedication.”
- Type who book is dedicated too.
- Used Baskerville, Regular, 12 pt again
- Style is
- Character spacing is zero.
- Line-height is 1.2
- After last dedication entry
- After paragraph set to 216 pt. and press return to set it
- Select Dedication heading
- Move the left complete ruler grip to 2.6
- Select all of the dedicated people lines
- Text is left-justified
- Move the left complete ruler grip to 2.9
- Leave the right ruler grip at default (mine is 6.75)
- Insert section break
My version of Dedication with the same hardware specifications as above:
You can single-click these images for the larger, more legible view.