Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto duplicates photos, can't move older photos from iPhoto folder.

iPhoto keeps duplicating my photos, my photo library is almost twice the size it should be, which fills my hard drive. This is a terrible waste of disc space, why is iPhoto such a space hog?

Additionally, when I want to move older photos to my backup drives and delete them from my laptop drive, I can't do it because the folder is protected. ***?!

Both of these issues made me quit using iPhoto long ago, but unfortunately I did download some photos into iPhoto and they are stuck in this ironclad folder. How do I bust them out, and do so without also copying all the extra duplicates that iPhoto made? I just want the photos, and only the photos, then I can escape from iPhoto forever!

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 12:55 PM

10 replies

Jan 28, 2013 1:00 PM in response to hernlund

No - you simply do not understand iPhoto - does not duplicate anything and it does not lock you out of anything - if you do not want to use iphoto any more simply launch it, select your photos and export (file menu ==> export) - or you can right click on the iPhoto library and show package contents and directly access your photos in the masters folder (if you make any changes you will destroy your iPhoto library and render it unusable by iPhoto)

LN

Jan 28, 2013 1:10 PM in response to LarryHN

Sorry Larry, I can see the folder structure inside the iPhoto Library, and I know you're wrong. Perhaps I don't understand iPhoto. Thanks for trying to help, but you don't seem to understand iPhoto, either.

For example, for my photo upload on January 2, 2008 there is a folder ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/2008/01/02/

Inside this folder are 2 more folders:

1) ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/2008/01/02/Thumbs/

2) ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/2008/01/02/Originals/

The "Thumbs" folder contains small samples of the images (duplicates that are re-sized) while the "Originals" folder contains exact carbon copies of the full-sized photos that are already contained in in the ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/2008/01/02/ folder. But it doesn't contain all of them, some are missing.

The photos stored in the "Originals" folder are duplicates, and they can only be interpreted as duplicates. So I'm not sure why you say the iPhoto doesn't duplicate photos, when clearly it does do so.

Jan 28, 2013 1:17 PM in response to hernlund

Where is your library located? When is it duplicating the photos? Describe what you're experiencing and when.

What folder is protected? How are you trying to move the photos?

To copy photos out of iPhoto use the File ➙ Export ➙ File Export menu option with Kind =Original selected. That will give you the original file. Export to folder(s) on your Desktop and then drag them to the EHD. When done copying delete the folder from the Desktop and the photos from your Library.

Update: I beleive the problem is "user error" based on Larry's post.

OT

Jan 28, 2013 1:14 PM in response to hernlund

Well you just proved you do not understand iphoto

Once a photo is imported to iPhoto you can delete teh source - there is not reason to keep it - and if you choose to keep it then it is you creating the duplicates, not iPhoto

and you disproved your contention that your photos are locked in the iPhoto library and cna not be taken out since you are inside the lbrary by your own admission

Since your post is not a request for help but simply a rant makeing totally false claims there reslly is no reason for you to post again

LN

Jan 28, 2013 1:47 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry, thanks for trying to help, but you're obviously a bully and a jerk, not sure why you even bother to post in this "Support Community." Fact: I never asked iPhoto to make duplicates, it did so without ever having prompted me whether I'd like to double the size of my digital photo library for no good reason. And I can navigate the iPhoto folder easily in the UNIX shell to see what's inside. I didn't do a cp in the shell because I didn't want all the **** duplicates, and it wasn't straightforward to move them without duplicates unless I were to write a shell script (which would have been my last resort).

Thankfully somebody else had something useful to say (Thanks Old Toad!). Choosing select File->Export for Originals works, but of course I had to move them directly to the backup disc since the iPhoto Library has filled my hard drive with duplicates.

I really wish I could like iPhoto, but I don't know what in the world it is doing, and by locking me out of the Finder access to the iPhoto folder and doing things like duplicating photos without my asking, I've lost trust in this piece of software. I'm not going to risk my precious photos to something I don't understand.

Jan 28, 2013 2:04 PM in response to hernlund

I really wish I could like iPhoto, but I don't know what in the world it is doing, and by locking me out of the Finder access to the iPhoto folder and doing things like duplicating photos without my asking, I've lost trust in this piece of software.

First thing is: It's a Photo manager. That's the basic key thing you need to grasp. Your photo is not the same thing as the file that contans it. That's why Finder access is not relevant. Import the Photo, manipulate the photo - losslessly - and then if you want to use the Photo in a document, upload it, whatever, put it into a new file designed for that purpose.

The illustration I use is as follows: In my iTunes Library I have a file called 'Let_it_Be_The_Beatles.mp3'. So what is that, exactly? It's not the song. The Beatles never wrote an mp3. They wrote a tune and lyrics. They recorded it and a copy of that recording is stored in the mp3 file. So the file is just a container for the recording. That container is designed in a specific way attuned to the characteristics and requirements of the data. Hence, mp3.

Similarly, that Jpeg is not your photo, it's a container designed to hold that kind of data. iPhoto is all about the data and not about the container. So, regardless of where you choose to store the file, iPhoto will manage the photo, edit the photo, add metadata to the Photo but never touch the file. If you choose to export - unless you specifically choose to export the original - iPhoto will export the Photo into a new container - a new file containing the photo.

So as long as you're hanging on to the idea that Photo=Jpeg iPhoto is never going to work for you.

If you're willing to let go of that - as you do with Addresses, as you do in iMovie, Lightroom, Final Cut, APerture - then you can begin to make sense of iPhoto too.

Regards

TD

Jan 28, 2013 3:08 PM in response to hernlund

Typical - no one here except you has called anyone a single name

Clearly you do not understand how iPhoto works and you have proven it - and it is interesting that you have posted totally contridictory statements amking one wonder about your truthfullness

In any case - have nice day

If you actually want to learn feel free to post back - if you are going to continue to post totally false statements and call teh volenteers here names then you just need to go away - iPhoto is a ppowerful prpogram but if you do not understand it and refuse ot listen to people who do you will be totally frustrated

LN

iPhoto duplicates photos, can't move older photos from iPhoto folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.