Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime won't open Mov files

Hi there,

I am trying to get files from work onto my home computer.

At work, we use Windows and Edius GrassValley (6?) to edit videos. I can convert the files to a Quicktime before I take them home and I've done this several times before.

But now it won't let me open the files in either Quicktime or iMovie. I'm not certain what I'm doing wrong, I don't believe anything has changed on my computer since the last time I brought home some files.

When I try to open them with Quicktime, it just says it's not a movie file even though the tag says it's a .mov and I converted the file to a quicktime file before putting it on my flash drive.

I'm currently running Mac OS 10.6.8, Quicktime 7.6.6 and iMovie 8.0.6 (I know, it's ancient!).

If any of you lovely people could at least point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:18 PM

1 reply

Jan 30, 2013 2:25 AM in response to Niebby

Hello Niebby,

According to the description of the issue provided looks like some change has been done in your system. Most probably a change in the installed codecs. I would suggest you to check whether the required codecs are installed under the folder "/Library/QuickTime".

If reinstallation is needed you can check this post "QucikTime Codecs Installation" to get some details about how to proceed.

--Javier

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Quicktime won't open Mov files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.