Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import movie files into imovie that are .mov files?

How do I import movie files into imovie that are .mov files saved in my iphoto? When I open the .mov file, the movie will only play in my quicktime viewer. How do I change the format so it is compatible with imovie? imovie will not let me import these files or drag & drop then into the program.

iMovie '11

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:35 PM

28 replies

Apr 21, 2017 4:56 PM in response to Debanjan_a

I have a large (6 gig) itunes movie file I am trying to just grab a scene out of for home use.

I tried converting it using Streamclip, but after 2 days of chugging along I quit out of it, it was only 50% done. The resulting quicktime had no image of audio?

I have read that I can just use "convert" in itunes, but those are greyed out when the film is selected. Is there something else I can try?

Henry

Apr 21, 2017 9:52 PM in response to Henry Cline1

I have used VLC VideoLan player for cases like this. It plays any file and has the ability to capture a slice out of your movies. Search for the recording tools panel which is not visible by default and wind to the spot where you want to start extracting. Then hit the "record button", that looks like a round red dot. Then play the movie normally while you watch the part you want to extract.

In the background, based on your preferences (not too easy to navigate those settings), VLC will save that clip to a folder.

With that much smaller clip, have a go with your favourite tools. At least they will process it much faster. Again VLC can help as it can transcode also, yet again its interface is not very trivial and to get sound out of it you may need to search and download additional free software to transcode that. I used different batch software for transcoding but don't know by heart. Let me know if I need to dig up the name for you.

VLC is freeware.

Jan 28, 2013 8:40 PM in response to Christina1000

Before you worry about potential conversions, let's make sure you were importing properly.

Go to the file in iPhoto and right-click/Reveal in Finder. Make a copy of the file (Command-C) and paste it on the Desktop (Command-P).

Now, in iMovie, use FILE/IMPORT MOVIE and navigate to this file on the Desktop. Does it import?

If not, read on...

MOV is a container, not a codec. iMovie will only import files that it can edit. You will want to convert it to something, but probably not DV, since if you had HD video you would lose all the HD resolution and get it converted to standard definition.

Open your MOV file in QuickTime Player. Then hold down the Command Key while typing the letter i. This will open the Inspector. Tell us the dimensions of your clip and everything that is listed next to the word format, and we can give you advice on how to convert.

Jan 28, 2013 10:43 PM in response to AppleMan1958

I saved the file to my desktop, but still will not allow me to import. It shows up grey, unavailibe to click/import in the desktop file.

The Format: Ambarella AVC encoder, 1280 by 720, millions AAC, Stereo, 48.000 Khz

I have several of these videos I am trying to import to make a stream line movie in imovie. I just want to know the easiest way to import them.

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2013 6:17 AM in response to Christina1000

I would suggest that you use a free app called MPEG Streamclip. You can download it here.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Drag your file into MPEG Streamclip.

In MPEG Streamclip, choose FILE/EXPORT TO QUICKTIME...

Choose Apple Intermediate Codec for the compression. Save it out to your desktop (or to anywhere) with a different name.

Now in iMovie, use FILE/IMPORT MOVIE...

and navigate to the file you just made.

Jul 30, 2013 7:16 PM in response to Christina1000

Actually iMovie did work with .mov files. However, iMovie only supports the MOV movie file whose video codec is DV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, or AIC. If a .mov video contains an incompatible video codec, the file will either not import into iMovie or will exhibit playback issues after import. In this case, you may need to convert the video file to iMovie compatible video format.I find a recommneded guide to import MOV to iMovie on the other fourm. If you prefer, you can try it. It handles my issue quite well.

Dec 2, 2013 9:42 PM in response to Christina1000

AppleMan: here is the info for my .mov file

XDCAM EX 720p60 (35 Mb/s VBR), 1,280 x 720 (1,248 x 702)

Linear PCM, 16 bit little-endian signed integer, 1 channels, 48000 Hz

Linear PCM, 16 bit little-endian signed integer, 1 channels, 48000 Hz

data size:276.6 MB

data rate: 19.89 Mbit/s

when I drag and drop it to streamclip it and hit play there is nothing there just white. and when I try to convert it the way you said above to apple intermiedate codec, the video shows up as just a black screen when I open it. can you help me?

Feb 16, 2014 4:41 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Hi, I was searching for a solution to the same problem as Christina1000 and before I give MPEG Streamclip a shot, was interested in your perspective on my current situation...

I've got a bunch of .MOD files on a PC that I'm transferring to my Mac - where I want to be able to both view them with Quicktime and play around with them in iMovie.

I'm using AVS Video Converter for PC 8.5 and I converted the .MOD to .MOV with the following settings: MPEG-4 (original framerate); MP3 - 192kbps. This worked fine for Quicktime but won't import into iMovie. The converted specs of the file are 1024x576, MPEG-4 Video, MPEG Layer 3.

I would have thought the MPEG 4 format would have got into iMovie ok...do you know of any reason why this one wouldn't?

Thanks for your insights!

How to import movie files into imovie that are .mov files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.