Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new Mac mini, outdated iDVD and iMovie HD with OSX 10.8.2; fix ?

I have a brand new Mac mini and during set up I imported settings from a Macbook running 10.5.8; now the iDVD and iMovie HD apps are outdated and the settings do not allow updates to the current version compatible with OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2;

How do I fix this?

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 8:04 PM

12 replies

Jan 28, 2013 9:53 PM in response to dhill114

Just so you know, the newer iMovie versions are absolutely nothing like iMovie HD. iMovie HD processes HD footage losslessly (without loss of quality) - the newer versions do not.

I have the special version of iMovie HD (6.04) which was made available by Apple when people complained about iMovie 08. It is a .dmg and it will work with Mountain Lion and it co-exists along with the newer versions of iMovie. If you have that .dmg version, I can tell you how to install it, but you'd need iLife 08 installed first. Post back if you have that.

Mar 1, 2013 4:30 AM in response to babowa

Re your info. above,

I have iMovie HD 6.0.4 running perfectly on a desk top 2008 iMac (updated to Snow Leopard).

I now need to do the same installation to the latest Mountain Lion iMac (desktop).

I've also got iMovie HD 6,0.4 (for iLife '08) burned to a DVD-R disk from the original disk image downloaded from Apple.

Can I use this Installation Disk to transfer onto the ML iMac?

Mar 1, 2013 8:01 AM in response to makey

Hmmm, frankly not sure since I've only done the installs of 6.04 using the .dmg supplied by Apple. So is your 6.04 a copy of the fully installed version or an installer image (.dmg)?

In my case, the .dmg can only be installed if iLife 08 is installed, so I install iLife 08 (nothing works from that in ML, but it doesn't matter), then install the 6.04 .dmg, and then update the entire iLife with 09 and then 11, running software update in between. At that point, every app works. During that process, the new iMovie versions will be installed and automatically create a previous version folder for 6.04.

If it's the full application, you could try to first install iLife 08 and then create a folder "iMovie previous version" for your Applications folder and simply drop the application into it. Then see if you can launch it - if not, just trash the folder.

Mar 2, 2013 4:27 AM in response to babowa

The iMovie HD 6 was taken from the .dmg supplied by Apple, it's from there that I made the Installation HD 6 DVD. Therefore I've got iMovie HD 6 (and previous version iDVD) installed on my iLife '08 iMac, so everything I want is available. I've also got the original '08 installation disks that came with it.

I'm getting all the existing files transferred to the new iMac from my '08 iMac. Therefore, shouldn't the 2 items above automatically transfer also?

Apr 13, 2013 5:56 PM in response to babowa

In my case, the .dmg can only be installed if iLife 08 is installed, so I install iLife 08 (nothing works from that in ML, but it doesn't matter), then install the 6.04 .dmg, and then update the entire iLife with 09 and then 11, running software update in between. At that point, every app works. During that process, the new iMovie versions will be installed and automatically create a previous version folder for 6.04.

Right now I have a Powerbook G4.

I'll be purchasing a new iMac (Mountain Lion) in the coming months. I would like to put both iMovie HD6 and the last version of iDVD on it. I've read numerous threads on the iDVD installation. I'm trying to make sure I understand all the steps to getting both applications installed and working correctly.

I have the install disks for

• iLife 08 (says it can install on both PPC and Intel Macs)
  • iLife 09 (with iDVD)
  • iLife 11 (older version with iDVD)

I certainly remember disliking iMovie 7 and therefore used the download from Apple to revert back to 6.0.4 on my Powerbook. I did a search and happened to find in my Library an installer package labeled iMovie HD6 (the file info says version 6.0.4 and it's dated Feb 2008). Is this what I would have used to go back to iMovie HD6 from iMovie 7? I also found a ton of other installer packages that I had no idea my powerbook must have automatically saved. Included were numerous iDVD 7 update installers.

So would I take these steps on the new iMac with Mountain Lion?

1. Use the iLife 08 disk to do a custom install of only iMovie (or does the 6.0.4 installer only work if you've installed the entire iLife 08?)
  2. Run the installer package iMovieHD6 to revert from iMovie 7 to HD6
  3. Use the iLife 09 disk to do a custom install of iDVD
  4. Update iDVD by running the update packages and then using the iLife 11 disk to ensure I get all the themes available for iDVD
  5. Run software update to bring everything up-to-date

I happened to do an install of only iDVD from iLife 11 (iDVD) on another IMac running Mountain Lion and found that I had no choice but to install iPhoto along with it. Since that was an older version I then had to do a reinstall of the current iPhoto from the App store.

Do these steps sound logical?

Apr 13, 2013 11:22 PM in response to Cynthia Dorminey

1. Use the iLife 08 disk to do a custom install of only iMovie (or does the 6.0.4 installer only work if you've installed the entire iLife 08?)
  2. Run the installer package iMovieHD6 to revert from iMovie 7 to HD6
  3. Use the iLife 09 disk to do a custom install of iDVD
  4. Update iDVD by running the update packages and then using the iLife 11 disk to ensure I get all the themes available for iDVD
  5. Run software update to bring everything up-to-date

1. I did a regular install of all the iLife apps on the DVD, but just iMovie should work (although I've not tried that).

2. Use the .dmg you have.

3. I installed all the apps, but just installing iDVD should work.

4. I'd run Software Update and then use iLife 11 and run Software Update again.

5. Correct.

I don't have any apps from the app store, so my iPhoto is from the iLife disks (and has been updated automatically by Software Update to the latest version). I do not know how it would work if you've purchased iPhoto from the app store since I do not own any apps from there.

It's kinda late here, so let me know if I've missed any of your questions...

Apr 14, 2013 9:01 AM in response to babowa

I don't have any apps from the app store, so my iPhoto is from the iLife disks (and has been updated automatically by Software Update to the latest version). I do not know how it would work if you've purchased iPhoto from the app store since I do not own any apps from there.

iPhoto 11 came on the Mac where I did the old iLife 11 iDVD install. Somehow software update just automatically new that I needed to do a reinstall of iPhoto so I just hit the "reinstall" button that magically appeared and iPhoto was back to normal.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4476669?answerId=21696981022#21696981022

--See fredfrommccornick's comments about halfway down the page.--- This is how I knew I'd need the reinstall of iPhoto after installing iDVD from the iLife 11 disk. I didn't have the iLife 09 disk at the time so I'm not sure if the same thing will happen to iPhoto. Guess I'll find out, though.

Ahhhhh. Apple could have saved us a lot of trouble if they had just kept iDVD as well as the good quality iMovie HD6

iDVD low quality slideshow

---See Bengt Warleby's comments about getting good iDVD quality-- it's a wealth of info. Particularly his comments about "Use of video-editor"

Apr 14, 2013 5:52 PM in response to Cynthia Dorminey

iDVD low quality slideshow

---See Bengt Warleby's comments about getting good iDVD quality-- it's a wealth of info. Particularly his comments about "Use of video-editor"

Thanks - I do not use iDVD for slideshows (I don't use iPhoto either; I pay for a third party app called Photo to Movie which produces excellent quality slideshows.

And yes, I agree - it would have been much easier to keep iDVD especially since the current iMovie version still shows a (non-working) link to "share" to iDVD.

new Mac mini, outdated iDVD and iMovie HD with OSX 10.8.2; fix ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.