Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMovie Project Exporting

Hi All, I have a Mac pro and am trying to export a project from Imovie in HD 1086. Regrettably on reaching the end, it shows up as an error code (-108). Interesting, it allows the export in anything below HD 1086. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 8:24 PM

8 replies

Jan 28, 2013 10:08 PM in response to exe@219

Werll, to tell the truth, I've never come across this, so I have no idea what to make of it. A couple of thoughts: do you have plenty of empty hard drive space? The rule for rendering/encoding/burning is that you need to have at least as much empty hard drive space as your project is - which means, putting together a project in 1080 results in immense file sizes. So, how large is your project (incl. all the files) and how much space do you have? 720p requires much less. Second thought: what size is your original footage - are you shooting in 1080p or are you trying to upsize it while exporting? That might be overtaxing your machine's resources.

Jan 28, 2013 10:53 PM in response to babowa

Hi Babowa, I have plenty of space left so that should not be a problem. Regarding your 2nd comment, the original footage was taken well before HD was thought of and you may be right. What I cannot undertand, is why it accepts in 720p and not 1080p. What I am thinking of doing, is taking the machine into an IStore and asking them to look at it. With the old footage, I am sure that you are right that it may be overtaxing the machone. Really appreciate your concern and help.

Jan 28, 2013 11:03 PM in response to exe@219

Aside from anything else, if this is old footage, trying to make it into HD will not necessarily produce good results; you cannot increase the size without things becoming blurry (the point being: garbage in > garbage out). Now 720p is much smaller than 1080, so it may be that is why that is working. Have you actually exported it with the 720p setting and looked at it afterwards to see what it looke like? Before settling on a size, I would experiment with different settings - start with a lower resolution.

Jan 28, 2013 11:22 PM in response to babowa

I have exported the project in the lower resolutution of 720p and it has come out perhaps just as good as what it would have come out in 1080p. so I am happy with this. The reason for my query, was that someone I was talking to, mentioned that it would be better to export at the higher resolution for clarity, thus my trying. I have a feeling, that the person I spoke to, is not up to speed on the system as you are. So really appreciate all your time and help.

Jan 28, 2013 11:32 PM in response to exe@219

Well, I've done a bit of experimenting with different cameras and different settings - the point at the time was to figure out the best method/settings for me to use. My cameras shoot both in 1080p and 720p and I've started to use the 720 mostly because of the file size (even with 720, I can easily pile up 100 - 150 GB of various project files for an hour project) and I also noticed that I simply could not tell the difference on my TV...

Video rendering is the single most intense workflow for the processor - you need the best/fastest processor and as much RAM as your machine can handle. Even then, it is still slow.

IMovie Project Exporting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.