Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to type я (ya in Russian) while using Russian phonetic keyboard?

Learning Russian and using the phonetic keyboard on a US MacBook Pro running 10.8.2. When I type "ya" it types it as "ыа" instead of "я".

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 9:23 PM

5 replies

Jan 29, 2013 11:31 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you for the reply. I looked up the keyboard and layout and the character is mapped to the "Q" key. I figured the phonetic part of it, spelling it as "ya" would convert it to that character. I also found other keys are mapped to strange keys on my keyboard like the plus sign, etc. I could be wrong but I don't think anyone would ever use the "y" and "a" characters or "z" and "h" characters to mean the single character versions of them, я and ж, respectively. They are used with various other words but two character sequences should translate to one when they're together. Japanese characters do it all the time, and I can phonetically type my words out in Google Translate which translates the words perfectly.

Is there a better keyboard that does an internal mapping when typing out two characters that equal one character when typed next to each other?

Thank you in advance.

Jan 29, 2013 11:47 AM in response to EAC_MacUser

EAC_MacUser wrote:

I figured the phonetic part of it, spelling it as "ya" would convert it to that character.

As far as I know, phonetic keyboards for Russian never work that way. я, ю, ж, ш, etc. are always each placed on a single key, and I think anyone who knows the Russian alphabet would expect that.

What you are looking for is really a transliteration keyboard. I have never seen one, but it might be possible to make it using

http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele

With this it is very easy to create a custom layout by drag/drop from the Character Viewer onto templates provided by the app.

Jan 29, 2013 1:21 PM in response to EAC_MacUser

EAC_MacUser wrote:

I'm still getting used to to Apple being a Windows user primarily and liking/hating some things.

Does Windows come with a Russian transliteration keyboard layout? I have seen Russian and Russian Typewriter, but they are standard one-key per Russian letter. The Russian Phonetic layouts for Windows I have seen have я on Q, just like the Mac.

Could you indicate where you have seen a Russian keyboard layout where you type ya to get я? It could be helpful in trying to make one for the Mac.

How to type я (ya in Russian) while using Russian phonetic keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.