Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 13" Late 2011 Problems - Erratic battery, loud, running hot.

Hi,

I've spoken to Apple Support however I was just wondering if I could get some extra information, the guy didn't answer all of my questions.

So last Thursday I stupidly installed Norton 360 Multi-Device on my MBP 13'' Late 2011 Model. After installation, the laptop started running loudly and the space above the keyboard where the fan is ran really hot. I immediately uninstalled it, and removed the Norton Backup files from my computer. However upon the next start-up the day after, my battery would give 30-45mins on a full charge.

I reset the NVRAM and PRAM and resetted the systems management controller. This recified my laptop from showing "1-2hrs remaining". However now the battery remaining status bar fluctuates between 4hrs and at one stage displayed 9hrs. I am in the process of calibrating the battery, however I have no idea what to do from there if it doesn't work.

My printer had been printing 20 copies of the one document, so I removed the printer off the network, but I can no longer pick it up to re-add it again.

I've been assured this is a hardware problem and not a virus, but I was wondering if anyone had any other opinions or advice?

Much appreciated!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 2:34 AM

First get rid of Norton, biggest Load of Junk software ever.

But I would erase the drive and restore from a TM backup from before you installed the Norton Junk. If no TM backup from just before installing Norton then erase the drive and reinstall everything clean and fresh. Save your personal files first.

3 replies

Jan 29, 2013 2:48 AM in response to jebados

The battery does not have to be calibrated. All that you will accomplish is to put an additional needles cycle on it and drain the battery which is not good for lithium ion batteries.

Deleting Norton was an excellent decision. You do not need it and it simply represents a potential problem. If you want to use an antivirus application, use ClamXav. Download it from the Internet for free.

The battery status indicator is far too erratic to be relied upon. At best it displays what resources are being used at a given moment. Thus if there is a brief period of heavy CPU/GPU usage, the time remaining value will be low and conversely. I rely on the percentile left as a general guide.

If you find that the MBP starts to run hot and the fans speed up, open Activity Monitor with 'All Processes' selected and '% CPU' set to show values from high to low. This will show what applications are causing the heat. If applicable, you can terminate the applications by selecting them and then clicking on 'Quit Process' on the top menu bar. Consider downloading iStat pro from the Internet. It is an excellent temperature and fan speed monitor.

I cannot assist you on your printer problem. I do not use them.

Ciao.

Macbook 13" Late 2011 Problems - Erratic battery, loud, running hot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.