Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2011 Macbook Pro + iPhone 5 + 2nd Gen Apple TV = No Airplay

I have been searching and searching for a solution. I have all the necessary equipment (don't ask... I checked to make sure multiple times). All my devices are connected to the same wifi network and airplay just isnt' working!

I have airplay "on" on my apple tv, no code (tried it with a code too...). Home Sharing is turned "on" in each of my devices (iphone 5, macbook pro, apple tv). They are all connected to the same exact network. I've never had issues with this before until I upgraded to itunes 11 and got an iPhone 5. Also, my remote app on my iphone 5 won't work either.

I can't Home Share my music, I can't AirPlay from my iOS 6 device to my ATV, and I can't AirPlay from my Macbook Pro (it is the right model, in case anyone is tempted to ask) to my Apple TV. I just updated all devices to their latest software. This is what I'm getting when I try to connect:

User uploaded file

I'm really not looking for trouble shooting guides and other apple.support walkthroughs, here. I've read them all. I've STUDIED them all. Nothing is working. I think this is an isolated case and I need some help. It's SUPER frustrating. =\

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 10:54 PM

6 replies

Jan 28, 2013 11:10 PM in response to milesgrimes

Miles

I note there is a lot of taboos in replying, but one simple possibility you have not mentioned, a reboot of router? I know it is simple and you probably have tried it but just in case.

Mirror can also suffer from interference from other devices and household appliances. Have you changes any other electronic equipment around the time this problem started. I think this is a network problem, mirror is quite easy to bump off networks so any detail on the network set up may help someone to see your issue.

Regards

Jules

Jan 29, 2013 9:36 AM in response to julesnewtoMac

No worries, julesnewtoMac.

I have rebooted my router and that did not help. Not sure if it is an appliances thing either because there is nothing in close proximity that would really interfere.

My concern is that it is a network problem or something to do with my router since I no longer know my username and password to sign onto my router to access firewall settings with it. I ashamedly did not note what my router name and password was when I installed it. =\

The only other problem that might be related to this is that when I plug my ATV into my computer, iTunes does not recognize it as being connected. I've tried several micro USB cables (all of which are in working order) and none of them allow iTunes to recognize the ATV. Could this be something to do with the problem? Maybe I should restore my ATV? Idk... any other workarounds before I go the difficult route of attempting to access my router/network settings?

Jan 29, 2013 11:07 AM in response to milesgrimes

I am a bit of a newbie but I just went through the same process without a hitch. You state, "when I plug my ATV into my computer, iTunes does not recognize it as being connected." Your ATV should be plugged into TV with and HDMI cable and connected to your home network wirelessly.

Did you go to settings on your ATV and identify your TV, connect ATV to your home network and set AirpPlay ON on your ATV ??

I have an ATV2. My Macbook is an older version (2009) and I have an iPad1......neither support AirPlay. However, my iPhone 4S does. I simply connected by iPhone to my home network and double-clicked the Home button on my iPhone, and the AirPlay icon appeared. I then clicked on the AirPlay icon and I was able to mirror my iPhone and stream video and audio (like YouTube) to my LCD TV.

With my older Macbook Pro I can't mirror but I can play videos to my TV thru ATV if I first place the video in iTunes.

Hope this helps

Jan 29, 2013 12:22 PM in response to eagleonthebeach

Thanks, eagleonthebeach.

You actually can plug your ATV into your computer, but not for using the device. In order to update firmware or run diagnostics on the ATV device, you must use iTunes while the ATV is still plugged into your computer.

Like I said in my first post, all of my settings are correct, so it should work unless there is a problem with a. my network/router or b. the hardware/firmware/software (which shouldn't have a problem) with my actual ATV device. Plus,

"Home Sharing is turned "on" in each of my devices (iphone 5, macbook pro, apple tv)"

so that is not the problem either.

Thanks for your help, though!

Feb 2, 2013 2:48 PM in response to milesgrimes

I'm an idiot... I reset my modem and not my wireless router.

The wireless rounter must be reset. If you're reading this and you're having a difficult time, unplug the power to your wireless router for 20 minutes (just in case) and plug it back in. When you've been using your wireless router for a while, it uses up all the IP addresses that it can store. Unplugging it resets them all so that the ATV and iPhones/iPads/Macs can all occupy one of them. =]

Early 2011 Macbook Pro + iPhone 5 + 2nd Gen Apple TV = No Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.