Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

28,670 songs but no artists?

After updating to 6.1, I opened the Music app. All my playlists and songs appeared to be there and could be played (both device-resident and iCloud tracks), but if I go to Artists, Albums, Compilations, Composers, or Genres, it says “No Music.”

User uploaded file

I have tried:

1. Turning Match off and on again.
  2. Turning Match off and on again again.
  3. Turning Match off, wiping the Music app storage, syncing some 4,000 tracks via USB, and turning Match back on.

None provided a permanent fix. I did get an artist list after doing the manual sync, but sometime after turning Match back on, it disappeared again.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 11:26 PM

So, sort of a solution to this based on this tidbit found online.

1. Turned off iTunes Match (device-resident songs were shown, still nothing under Artists or Albums).
  2. Changed language to Spanish (no change).
  3. Changed language to English (Artist and Album lists were now populated).
  4. Turn iTunes Match on (playlists load, but that’s it — otherwise only showing music that’s on the phone).
  5. Turn iTunes Match off (playlists disappear almost immediately, which is unusual).
  6. Turn iTunes Match back on (both device and cloud music is now shown… mostly).

So the bulk of the music is now shown under Songs, Artists, and Albums, but not all. There are a few missing albums that show up on a search, but don’t appear in any category lists. But that’s an issue for a different post. 😐

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2013 11:26 PM in response to Rob Marquardt

So, sort of a solution to this based on this tidbit found online.

1. Turned off iTunes Match (device-resident songs were shown, still nothing under Artists or Albums).
  2. Changed language to Spanish (no change).
  3. Changed language to English (Artist and Album lists were now populated).
  4. Turn iTunes Match on (playlists load, but that’s it — otherwise only showing music that’s on the phone).
  5. Turn iTunes Match off (playlists disappear almost immediately, which is unusual).
  6. Turn iTunes Match back on (both device and cloud music is now shown… mostly).

So the bulk of the music is now shown under Songs, Artists, and Albums, but not all. There are a few missing albums that show up on a search, but don’t appear in any category lists. But that’s an issue for a different post. 😐

28,670 songs but no artists?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.