Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv 5.2 software update

My Apple TV Model MD199B1A that I purchased day before yesterday came with 5.1 software. For some reason it failed activation when I switched it on and that failed status shows in the About menu. But I have still been able to use it. However, the software update to 5.2 released yesterday is unable to install. I have tried six or seven times!

What could be the problem?

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 11:55 PM

11 replies

Jan 29, 2013 2:01 AM in response to Macspectation

Welcome to the Apple Community.

If you are using ethernet, try the update with wifi.

If your problem persists get yourself a micro USB cable (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source list)
  2. Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3)
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Devices list, and then click Restore.

Jan 30, 2013 11:44 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I'm having an issue with this upgrade as well. The model number for our Apple TV is MC572LL/A. We did an upgrade via WiFi last night. This evening we have been trying to access our purchased TV Shows. I click on the TV Show Icon and the screen just goes back to the main Apple TV icon menu (movies, tv shows, music, etc.) and selects the Movies icon instead. Accessing YouTube is not a problem. Could it be an iTunes store issue???

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

Feb 2, 2013 12:37 AM in response to Macspectation

I got the answer just before I received any replies here by searching the forums - I've lost that link. Earlier models had this issue with updating the software while being connected via Ethernet which I did deliberately in order to leave my wifi bandwith for my mobile/iOS devices (iPhone, iPad and one other smartphone). Do as https://discussions.apple.com/profile/Winston%20Churchill said and connect via WiFi. You should then be able to update.

Feb 2, 2013 12:38 AM in response to skibum1

I got the answer just before I received any replies here by searching the forums - I've lost that link. Earlier models had this issue with updating the software while being connected via Ethernet which I did deliberately in order to leave my wifi bandwith for my mobile/iOS devices (iPhone, iPad and one other smartphone). Do as https://discussions.apple.com/profile/Winston%20Churchill said and connect via WiFi. You should then be able to update.

Feb 2, 2013 12:38 AM in response to erugar

Feb 2, 2013 12:38 AM in response to Kelly Sill

Feb 2, 2013 12:38 AM in response to brammers

Sep 12, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Hi (Bonjour)!

Same problem here, the Apple TV 3rd gen. has suggested an update, but despite the complete download, the process failed on the second step(progress bar) and I've got an "connect to iTune with micro USB cable" splash screen, no white LED on ATV.

I've connected the ATV unit to my "up to date for all soft" 2013 iMac, and I've got the restore Apple TV dialog. The download completes, but the update process failed with an "1611 error" warning. It seems that his error is related to virus protection software. But... I do not use any virus protection software... so I can't apply any suggested workaround to solve the problem.

I've now a dead box Apple TV.

Bad, bad move when selecting "apply update" on a pretty usable ATV.

Michel Boissonneault

apple tv 5.2 software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.