Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Send Slideshow to iDVD

Hi - I searched the forum to understand how it works but did not quite find it.

From iPhoto, I use "Share - Send to iDVD" to send my slideshow.

The first time I sent - the iDVD apps was already launched but the DVD project was not. I thought, I could just create the project later and select the "slideshow" just like you would a iMovie project. But, there was nothing under the iMovie or iPhoto folders to select.

The second time - I created the DVD project first and left it open. This time the "slideshow" just pop out in the DVD menu, when the "Send to iDVD" step is completed. All is well.

Out of curiosity, I searched and found there are TWO copies of that slideshow in the folder "Pictures>iPhoto Slideshows" - differentiated by "_2" in the second file. Worse, there were a number of duplicates of other "slideshows" I have made in the past.

My questions are:

1. Is it correct that to include a "slideshow" into the DVD - I must always leave the iDVD project open first? If this is correct, the next time I want to insert the same "slideshow" I have to go through the "Share - Send to iDVD" step again - which may take some time to send? Or, can I select the "slideshow" from somewhere in iDVD just like a iMovie project which is prepared for iDVD?
  2. I assume the "slideshows" sent to iDVD are kept in the "Pictures>iPhoto Slideshows" folder - if I cannot reuse these "slideshows" since there is no feature in iDVD to select. Can I delete these "slideshows" in the "Pictures>iPhoto Slideshow" folder, as it takes up a lot of space. And how?

I hope someone understand what I am trying to describe.

Regards

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 2:38 AM

1. Yes.

No, if you want to reuse the same slideshow you don't have to redo the 'Send to iDVD' command. You can add any movie (and that's what an exported Slideshow is) to any iDVD project with drag and drop. See the iDVD help for more.

2. Yes you can delete them if you have no use for them. Just like any file. Drag it to the trash and empty it.

Regards

TD

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2013 2:38 AM in response to hock_eye

1. Yes.

No, if you want to reuse the same slideshow you don't have to redo the 'Send to iDVD' command. You can add any movie (and that's what an exported Slideshow is) to any iDVD project with drag and drop. See the iDVD help for more.

2. Yes you can delete them if you have no use for them. Just like any file. Drag it to the trash and empty it.

Regards

TD

Jan 29, 2013 5:35 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence for your prompt response.

I just read the iDVD help. It said, "click the Media button, then Movies and drag the slideshow". The problem is the slideshow is not listed there, nor any of the slideshows in the "Pictures>iPhoto Slideshows" folder? In fact, there are no slideshows listed anywhere in that "Media"panel on the right.

Jan 29, 2013 5:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

Not sure I understand what is written in the iDVD help and what you wrote are the same.

From the iDVD help, my understanding is to "click Media, then Movies and drag the slideshow" - this is what I meant by the "Media Panel" - but, there are no slideshows there.

From what I can understand from you, I should just drag the slideshow from the folder "Pictures>iPhoto Slideshows" - is this what you meant?

Jan 29, 2013 11:37 AM in response to hock_eye

Follow this workflow to help ensure the best quality iDVD video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

Jan 29, 2013 6:59 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, Old Toad, for your suggestion. I am aware of this workflow and have been using it. Now, my issue is:

After I have the slideshow made in iPhoto and "Send to iDVD" - it does not appear anywhere in iDVD. But, the iDVD Help indicates I can just "Click Media button, then Movies and drag the slideshow". I now understand, I must have the iDVD project "opened" when the slideshow is sent. But, I also now undertstand from Terence I can drag from the "folder" and I was wondering which folder. I am now guessing it is the "Pictures>iPhoto Slideshows" folder.

If my understanding is correct, then the iDVD Help is not correct. Meaning, I cannot re-use the already exported slideshow from the "Media Panel" on the right because there are no slideshows there. But, I can drag from anyother place or folders such as the "Pictures>iPhoto Slideshow" folder.

I think, my vocabulary and understanding of terminology is not up to par to understand what have been explained to me. ANyway, thank you all for your kind attention.

Regards

Send Slideshow to iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.