Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Size of iPhoto librairy

Good morning

As far as I can see I have similar problem to the one of a lot of people: iPhoto librairy is big (circa 175GB)!

I have exported all the RAW files I used to keep within the librairy and stored them in an external drive. After they were copied I have deleted them from iPhoto and emptied the waste basket in iPhoto and did the same in for the main waste basket.

The problem I am facing is the following: I cannot recovert he 60 offs GB I have spared by doing that. Indeed the iPhoto librairy went down from 175GB to 110ish but when I look at the disk utility I have kept the same empty space before and after i.e. 25GB while I would have expected it to go up to 90GB after the space has been freed.

Any explanation or further check suggested?

Thanks in advance.

Best

Pierre

Mac Book Pro 17" + iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 4:09 AM

5 replies

Jan 29, 2013 12:14 PM in response to Pierre-Antonin

Does the Info window for your boot drive give the same free space as Disk Uiltiy? Select the boot drive on the desktop and type Command + i.

User uploaded file

Did you export those RAW files directly to the EHD or to the boot drive first and then copy to the EHD? If so you did remember to delete the exported files from the boot driver, right?

Boot into Safe Mode, Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode, and check the available space there?

Jan 30, 2013 8:16 AM in response to Old Toad

Hello and thanks for your tips. I will check the boot drive when I'm back home (i.e. tomorrow) and will eventually boot in safe mode to do the suggested checks.

I have exported the raw files using the procedure in iPhoto (i.e. export files and I have choosen the destination on the EHD when prompted). I have then sent the raw files to iPhoto wate basket emptied it and did the same on the main waste basket.

Thanks again

Pierre

Size of iPhoto librairy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.