Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing apple id loses purchased app

I moved from one state to another. The Apple id I had on my iPad was associated with my old email. I changed the Apple id to my new email. When I tried to use a purchased app - Weber's On The Grill - it no longer would access the internet for updates. It kept giving me a pop up window with my old email in it. I deleted the app thinking I could reinstall it. When I went to the app store to get it again instead of saying Install it put up the price for the app. I can no longer sign on to my old id and I can't get it again without buying the app again. Anyone suggest a way for me to do this. Thanks.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 4:51 AM

5 replies

Jan 29, 2013 5:20 AM in response to bheathfl

bheathfl wrote:

So even though Apple suggested I change my Apple ID to my new email doing so lost all purchased apps. What if I create a new Apple ID using my old email address will I then be able to get my purchased apps back?

You cannot create a new AppleID with that old email address - for one thing, that email address is already assigned as an AppleID so cannot be used for a new one. Second, you would never be able to verify such a new AppleID as you would not receive the email to do so. Finally, simply because you started using a new AppleID has not made the old one disappear or become inactive.

You can always go and login to the manage section at https://appleid.apple.com/ and simply change the primary email address for that old AppleID to another email address you have that is still active and valid. If you change information through the web site above, the account associated with that AppleID also changes, so your purchases track with the changes. However, you cannot change the old AppleIDs primary email to your new one, as that email is already in use as an AppleID. You will need to get another email to use (a free gmail, MS live or hotmail, yahoo, AOL/AIM or whatever service you wish) if you want to change that old AppleID's primary email address to one that actually receives mail.

changing apple id loses purchased app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.