Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to check if my airport card is installed? I can't find it in the network settings, so no WI-FI :-(

Since I bought this iMac more then 2 years ago, I wasn't really bothered that this feature (airport) didn't work in my iMac as I connected my iMac directly via Ethernet to the routher. The wireless router then connects to the other devices in my house. But I want to move my iMac to another room and need the airport-card to work. It was bought with it, but it has never been switched on. Any suggestions, where to check:

1.if the aiport-card has been installed when I bought it?

2. if yes, how to switch it on? it doesnt pop-up on my screen when I use the '+' in the network settings? Only 'ethernet' and 'blue-tooth'.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009)

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 5:34 AM

9 replies

Jan 29, 2013 7:01 AM in response to Dutchrob

Hello:

"Airport card" is, I think, a misnomer. All iMacs (for the past few years) have wi-fi capability built-in.

First thing to try is to reset the SMC.

The, go to system preferences>network. At the top it should say "status: connected." Also, there is a button that refers to the wi-fi. Click on it if the wi-fi is off.

You do not indicate which OS X version you are running (this is based on OS X 10.8).

Barry

Jan 29, 2013 7:20 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

Hi Barry,

The Wi-fi button isn't there. it only shows that I'm connected via Ethernet. I am running 10.7.5 OS

It has never worked since I bought it in 2009 when it was running 10.6.

When I want to '+' wifi, it doesnt show up in the network list.. Only bluetooth and firewire and ethernet.

Any other suggestions? SCM won't change anything else to the computer?

Thanks a a lot.

Rob

Jan 30, 2013 11:41 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

User uploaded file

Is there a way to see if the actual hardware with driver has been installed in the iMAC?

it shows that tht following software versioin are installed for Wifi;

Software Versions:

CoreWLAN: 2.1.3 (213.1)

CoreWLANKit: 1.0.3 (103.2)

Menu Extra: 7.2 (720.1)

configd plug-in: 7.4.1 (741.1)

System Profiler: 7.0 (700.3)

IO80211 Family: 4.2 (420.3)

WiFi Diagnostics: 1.0.2 (102)

AirPort Utility: 6.1 (610.31)

But I can't find any hardware in the list of 'system report' that refers to 'airport card'

Is there a way to find out if there is any of such a device built in the iMac at all?

the hardware overview shows: no devices installed of the following:

• ATA
  • Fiber Channel
  • Hardware RAI
  • PCI Cards
  • Parallel SCSI
  • SAS
  • Thunderbolt drivers not loaded.

it's a iMac, OS 10.7.5, but started with 10.6 when I bought it, 4GB, ethernet, 27".Wifi never worked.

any other solutions that could work? thanks for your help so far Barry!

how to check if my airport card is installed? I can't find it in the network settings, so no WI-FI :-(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.